Is the Arcam DV139 still all that?
Jul 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

m8o

Headphoneus Supremus
Now that I won the auction and I don't risk competing against a reader I inadvertently notified about the auction, I can ask... lol

For those that know and have 1st hand knowledge, Is the Adcom DV139 still all that?  I mean, sure it uses 6 Wolfson WM8740 DACs ... but my $109 FiiO E17 uses one of them too! :D 

Now, anyone can read reviews and parrot or contradict them w/an unqualified opinion.  I'm asking this from only those who have experience with it and other high-end players.  And I'm asking only about the audio section...

Almost as a rule it was considered the best non-Blueray universal player, both video and audio.  But it was released in I think 2007.  I imagine things have gotten better for cheaper, no?  Well, maybe no.  You tell me.  The Oppo 95 or 105 comes to mind and you get Blueray and 3D, right?

To expand on something mentioned above, I care about audio-only, specifically using the RCA out; no external DAC, playing regular CDs, moreso HDCDs (as my CAL Audio player died long ago and I've been w/o a good HDCD player for a decade), SACDs and DVD-As.

And lastly I'm not talking about it's $3500 msrp or whatever street price became.  I am paying $587.87 ; so something to consider in the equation.

Lemme know if you think it's still all that regardless of being long in the tooth now.

Thanx for all qualified opinions,
-steve

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 2
For the record, yes ... yes, it is all that.  Plus a bag'a chips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back