is my headphone set up complete?
Jul 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

classycans

Head-Fier
So here's my possible future set up for music ( this is the first time I've typed it out like this so I might mess it up).
320 kbps mp3 -----> fiio e70k ------> m audio q40 headphones
So here's my question. What's the weakest link? What should I upgrade first?
Thanks for reading

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 7
That is a great setup, buddy! For all of those products in their price range, they're almost impossible to beat. They are also all pretty much on the same wavelength of quality. That setup will all match well at a great price! I hope you enjoy it!

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 7
So here's my possible future set up for music ( this is the first time I've typed it out like this so I might mess it up).
320 kbps mp3
> fiio e70k
> m audio q40 headphones
So here's my question. What's the weakest link? What should I upgrade first?
Thanks for reading

It is never complete!!!
biggrin.gif

But in all seriousness, it really depends on what you are looking for and how far you want to go. Personally, I would rather get a mid-fi DAP with a more powerful built-in amp/DAC than a portable amp/DAC.

You may be satisfied for life with that portable setup...or you may eventually want to upgrade to the high-end.

I always use lossless audio unless it's not available. Some people don't notice any difference at all, while others can easily tell.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Seems like both you guys like the set up. Thanks for the replies

Not so much "like it" as making an observation that plenty of people are perfectly happy with low-to-mid-fi portable systems.

Plenty of people here also think I'm crazy for wanting to spend six to seven figures on audio gear, but it could be worth it, to me.

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Yeah and what they do for their price range is unparalleled. What they're both for is fantastic for the money. The Q40s have a nice smooth treble, a warm forward midrange, great bass which has even greater potential when being amped with the e07k.

The e07k has a really strong bass boost, a treble boost which is handy, more than enough power for the Q40s and most midfi cans, has a good enough dac you'll need with the q40s and so on.

I actually got a friend of mine into this exact same setup as I've previously had this setup as well. He never looked back! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back