Is it really worth it to buy an amp (/dac)?
Jan 18, 2009 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bobwhoops

New Head-Fier
I bought my first quality headphones in August (SR60s) and a pair of Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs last month (damn upgraditis already setting in). Both were great purchases and I'm happy with them. It seems like the next step is to buy an amp and I'm wondering how much my music listening experience will really increase by. For instance, if you compare my $200 HD 25's to $10 headphones, they're not 20 times better. Still, the increase in quality is remarkable which justifies forking over the money for them. I can't imagine that I'll get the same increase in quality if I buy a $200 amp. While music for me is more than just background noise, I don't sit in a zen trance listening for every detail either. I guess I'm asking if it's worth buying. I suppose if you're a regular poster in this sub-forum you obviously think that it is worth it. But I'd still like to hear what you guys have to say.

As for my set-up, I typically listen to my headphones at home or at work hooked up to my Macbook. Almost all my music is in v0. If I do buy an amp I want to set the ceiling at $200, though cheaper is better.

Two other questions:
Should it also include a DAC?
Any recommendations?

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 9
I also use a macbook for listening at work. I'd say an amp won't do much for your SR 60's - I heard them and wasn't impressed - amping them with my LD MT didn't do much.

I'd say for 200$; buy the SR 225; sell the other two headphones off. Then notice the difference - it'll be huge and you'll never look back.

Then a few months later you can get an amp. Or you could sell off the SR25's and use part of your 200$ budget to get the HD 600 - then be prepared to spend more for an amp for sure.

Right now an amp is a waste on the SR 60 for sure. The senns you have will benefit from amping, but while I haven't heard them, I don't think they'd beat the grados.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 9
amp/dac is worth it for sure if you are listening via laptop at work. get yourself a D3 amp/dac or even spring $270 for the new D10 amp/dac. dont listen to vandal; he hasnt heard the HD25 II (which IMO disqualifies him from giving advice on the matter, there's too much of that getting around here) I have and they beat 225 IMO (had extended time with them at a recent meet) I'm not a fan of the grado house sound either though, the forward mids and grainy highs, with not enough bass just doesnt do it for me. the HD25 will sound great with a dac/amp the improvement to be had from using a dac via USB as opposed to the soundcard on your mac book will be quite marked.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 9
@Vandal: While I would like to upgrade my Grados to the 225s, I need a closed pair of headphones to listen to at work so I don't really want to sell my HD 25s. But yeah, I'll probably sell my 60s at some point. I wasn't expecting them to benefit much from amping. They're just sitting around because they were my first pair.

Also, the $200 budget isn't that strict. If I REALLY wanted to I could get myself a pimped out $2000 set of high-end equipment, but the thing is you can always do better than what you have. At some point you need to say "This is good enough". If I have to spend more than $200 that's fine, as long as it's a good investment, not some tiny improvement.

@qusp: thanks, I'll look into those

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobwhoops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my first quality headphones in August (SR60s) and a pair of Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs last month (damn upgraditis already setting in). Both were great purchases and I'm happy with them. It seems like the next step is to buy an amp and I'm wondering how much my music listening experience will really increase by. For instance, if you compare my $200 HD 25's to $10 headphones, they're not 20 times better. Still, the increase in quality is remarkable which justifies forking over the money for them. I can't imagine that I'll get the same increase in quality if I buy a $200 amp. While music for me is more than just background noise, I don't sit in a zen trance listening for every detail either. I guess I'm asking if it's worth buying. I suppose if you're a regular poster in this sub-forum you obviously think that it is worth it. But I'd still like to hear what you guys have to say.

As for my set-up, I typically listen to my headphones at home or at work hooked up to my Macbook. Almost all my music is in v0. If I do buy an amp I want to set the ceiling at $200, though cheaper is better.

Two other questions:
Should it also include a DAC?
Any recommendations?

My suggestion to you is. Keep your SR60. Keep your HD25. Continue using the SR60. Continue using the HD25. Don't spent your $200 ceiling budget on any amps. Continue hooking these headphones you have to your Macbook or whatever players you have for work or home use. When you are really ready to pimped out $2000 to upgrade, then lets talk again.

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Macbooks have pretty good SQ which rivals some of the cheap headphone amps. If you're not seriously into music and picking out the details, I think any amps would be an overkill. Sure, it helps improve the quality but you won't get much out of HD25 and SR60. It's not that they're bad phones. I thought they were ok for casual listening. If you feel like venturing into more serious audiophilia world, that's when you should consider getting more high end cans and some decent amps.

Keep your wallet closed as much as possible.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 9
yeah save up for a total system, that would be cost-wise best. Save up for a good DAC, good amp, and good headphones. O but where is the joy in that
frown.gif
building the system is half the fun.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 9
I don't know guys, I do agree with some of the advice here, but I've used a couple of different setups for headfi, and coming straight out of the computer I noticed a HUGE difference, even for casual listening, between the headphone out on my 'puter and running USB to a GoVibe Magnum. That was with Etymotic ER4P's and a couple different, older, AKG cans. Of course, that amp is $350 or so new.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 9
The need for an amp is directly related to the headphone you are currently using and the existing quality of the headphone amp in your macbook. The great thing about the SR-60 is that it sounds great out of a normal headphone jack. A fancy headphone amp doesn't add anything meaningful for the SR-60. The Sennheiser headphone may be harder to drive but I don't have any experience with the HD25. It may benefit from a more powerful amplifier than what is in your Macbook. Search the forum on this headphone to see what others typically use since its a popular headphone.

The best advice I can give is if you are currently happy with the sound you are getting there is no need to rush to get something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back