Is it possible to get a great card on a whimpy budget?
Sep 5, 2004 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Chu

1000+ Head-Fier
I am currently looking for a new soundcard for my PC, and from browsing the forums it seems like the far and away winner is the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 if multi-channel is important.

The problem is I am on a little tight budget, and the $100+ price irks me.

Is there any decent sounding card out there in the $50 range, perhaps a great card from a generation or two back, or a good place to get one used? I do have a headphone amp to go with it, if it matters.

Thanks in advance,

-Chu

Sep 5, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 6
what you plan to use it for?
if your mainly using headphones (stereo) and your priority is music > games then chaintech av-710 wins hands down in the budget category..

Sep 5, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Revolution 5.1? Still a bit pricey. Maybe the out of stock 7.1 version. Do you really need multi-channel. cause, as ixeo said, the Chaintech is a bargain for what it is. Just can't be beat. I'm a huge fan of M-Audio, but if you don't need the extra channels, just go with the chaintech. Personally, I think multi-channel is overrated for a computer, unless you're building a HTPC. Plus, almost all of the multimedia surround speaker systems kinda suck.

Sep 5, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 6
You have all just cost me another $25.

orphsmile.gif

Thanks for the advice!

Sep 5, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 6
Looks like the AV-710 is going to win here. $25 shipped from Newegg last time I checked, and I'm acquiring a used one for $20 shipped.

BTW, it uses the same Envy24 chip as the M-Audio Revolution 7.1, so they're basically the same.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back