Is BASS overrrated?
Nov 25, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for recordings of pipe organs. They can go as low as 15 Hz.

I have around 10 discs of pipe organ and none of them contain the lowest notes. I'm not sure if it's because of the particular works or if the mastering cut them off. That's why I'm asking for particular recordings that hit the low notes.

billinkansas recommended one on another thread, bit it's out of print and not available anywhere

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I made my thread for fun :O hah.

Good for you

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have numerous records that go below 30hz, electronica mainly. Some of them do go below 20 - but that is bordering impossible to gauge with headphones.

And even for those who don't listen to goa-psy, a well recorded drum kick does not sound as good on a system that goes down to 30 as on a system that goes down to 20. Contrabass player does not project the right way, and the lowest keys of the piano, while nice, do not fully serve their purpose.

Wow i thought all goes very deeep, but kinda shocked when they do. maybe because we cant really hear it when its very deep?

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for recordings of pipe organs. They can go as low as 15 Hz.

Have you heard or heard of what is known as the "Soundhound Organ CD"? A member at a different forum made a recording in a Church using his custom mics to properly capture the pipe organ. I believe it goes below 15 Hz. The dynamic range is incredible...a true subwoofer torture test. Besides the fact that it has amazing sound quality, the music is very nice.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow i thought all goes very deeep, but kinda shocked when they do. maybe because we cant really hear it when its very deep?

There was a post about 6 months ago that had a link to a chart with how low instruments went. Most instruments that most people associate with bass only go down to about 60Hz.

Here's a couple of tables I found with a quick search

General Acoustics

2024_FreqGraph.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard or heard of what is known as the "Soundhound Organ CD"? A member at a different forum made a recording in a Church using his custom mics to properly capture the pipe organ. I believe it goes below 15 Hz. The dynamic range is incredible...a true subwoofer torture test. Besides the fact that it has amazing sound quality, the music is very nice.

Another suggestion that seems unobtainable
frown.gif
Do you know of a place to buy this? A google search turns up references to it, but not the CD itself.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another suggestion that seems unobtainable
frown.gif
Do you know of a place to buy this? A google search turns up references to it, but not the CD itself.

I did a Google search to read what you might have found. From a review of the Paradigm Servo-15 V2 Subwoofer at Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity.

4) Sound Hound Classical Organ CD, Artist Unknown, 2003. I couldn’t resist breaking out the infamous “Sound Hound” Classical Organ CD. The Servo-15 hit even the deepest (17 Hz) notes with authority, perfectly tracking subtle changes in air pressure, bringing impressive realism to this difficult recording. Even at chair massaging playback levels, I heard no audible doubling, just pristine infrasonic bass.

From the original distribution at S&V where listeners make comments:

How did your subwoofers do? - Music, Movies, Media and Gaming - Sound and Vision

Comments from Soundhound/HAL 9000:

"The bass is really brutal, and it is not surprising that it is clipping your amp and limiting the maximum SPLs. That low bass is where the real power demands are - orders of magnitude more power is needed to reproduce bass like this than higher frequencies above a few hundered Hz. Track #9 has some really good sustained 16Hz stuff too.

If this CD were to be released commercially, most of that low bass would have to be filtered out. Consumers with ordinary systems would probably be returning the CDs to the dealer in droves, complaining that it is distorting on their systems. Most purely music listeners do not have subwoofers, or speakers that were designed to be able to deal with strong output below 20Hz. They simply couldn''t play it very loud without their speakers bottoming out and possibly sustaining damage. For this liability issue, the bass would be tamed, most likely in the initial recording phase. Most commercial record companies go out of their way to limit the amount of low bass they record, since they have to take into consideration the least capable of speakers likely to play their recordings."

In the S&V thread there was talk about a new project where multi-channel recorders would be used with a DVD-A in mind. I don't believe anything came of that.

It would be fun to do a "tree" distribution for the CD but I doubt that Soundhound would approve.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #52 of 53
On the case of the stuff like contrabass / piano I mentioned. The note may be say 55 hz when played back (A1), but there are lower order harmonics present (22.5hz, 11.25 hz). There are lower volume and not sustained, but they contribute to the dynamic range and impact substantially.

If you look into the way bass drum works when viewed in frequency domain, its even more wicked...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions of recordings that go down to 20Hz. I have 2 headphones (SR-Gamma and HP-1) that roll off around 25Hz, and a couple that roll off around 30Hz.

Hallucinogen - In Dub puts on a nice show for starters.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the case of the stuff like contrabass / piano I mentioned. The note may be say 55 hz when played back (A1), but there are lower order harmonics present (22.5hz, 11.25 hz). There are lower volume and not sustained, but they contribute to the dynamic range and impact substantially.

If you look into the way bass drum works when viewed in frequency domain, its even more wicked...

Hallucinogen - In Dub puts on a nice show for starters.

Cool thanks. I did find another page that had a few instruments. It mentioned that the initial attack of a drum kick can go as low as 2.5 Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back