Is an external DAC always better than USB cards?
Jan 16, 2005 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dallasstar

100+ Head-Fier
I've been considering how to improve my laptop's source for quite a while now (researching and researching etc). Now, I've read that the Waveterminal U24 and Audiophile USB use very similar architecture and DACs, and I know that the ART DI/O uses the same DAC as the Waveterminal U24. However, there's more to sound than just the DAC, such as architechture, power supply, capacitors etc. How would I go about choosing between these three options? I know it's a bit much to ask considering it's unlikely anyone's heard all three, but any input that anyone can give would be appreciated. Is there any better option for a laptop with say... $400 budget and willing to buy used?

Thanks a lot, guys.

Jan 16, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 5
Since these all use AKM DACs of about the same class, they will more than likely sound somewhat similar. So I'd go more on the features. I used to have Audiophile USB and still have a DI/O although it's now modded.

U24 and DI/O uses 1/4" cables which isn't common so you'd have to use adaptors or get a custom made cable. Using standard cables with AP USB is a better investment and no adaptors is probably a little tiny bit better.

U24 and DI/O have the least features. AP USB has the most even a headphone jack although not that great. I'd still use an amp. It also has digital out in case you wanted to go with external DAC.

DI/O is sensitive to incoming jitter and the quality of digital cable. It's outputs are also very loud so may not work with your other equipment or amp. nothing sucks more than using very little of your volume control and most cheaper ones do not track well at low setting.

Of these 3, I rather choose Audiophile USB and mod it with the budget. But I rather get audiophile firewire, use custom cable since it uses 1/4", get a new power supply for it (12V DC), and some power conditioning. Should fill $400 budget.

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 5
Doesn't the Audiophile Firewire use inferior DACs to Audiophile USB? I'm pretty sure it does. AP USB: AKM 4528; AP FW: AKM 4628. The specs from akm.com show the USB version's DAC to be superior. Do you still stand by your endorsement for the AP FW? If so, why? Just wondering. Thanks.

Also, would you say that the Audiophile USB and Art DI/O in your setup sound very similar? I would have thought that the design of the boards etc would also add a unique sound to each of these devices, regardless of the DAC.

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 5
I say the sound is sort of around the same because honestly all of these aren't the most detailed so it's harder to hear their characteristics. And AKM DACs have their signature sound which seems similar.

Yes the DAC in the firewire is indeed not as good but I think the opamp is possibly better. Audiophie USB uses 9VAC power and does the conversion to DC inside the unit. with the firewire it take 12VDC input so you maybe able to use a better external AC/DC adaptor for an easier upgrade if you can't modify the insides. and i just prefer firewire over USB for audio
tongue.gif

--lan

Jan 17, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Transit --> Glass Toslink S/PDIF cable --> CIAUDIO VDA-1 comes pretty close to your budget...

The VDA-1 is a great little dac for $349 (www.ciaudio.com).

I'm currently using Audiophile USB--> RCA S/PDIF cable---> CIAUDIO VDA-1, but I previously used the Transit setup above with very good results.

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back