iRiver iMP400, sony dej-1000 line out
Mar 7, 2003 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lilac_Wine

100+ Head-Fier
I am interested in getting a new portable. I know my Panasonic sx469 can be improved upon.

I have a cosmic amp and ety4s headphones. I like the idea of a good headphone out and MP3 playback too make a more portable system, but line out quality is extremely important for my amp.

How much am I giving up in line out quality with the iRiver vs the Sony? Are there any MP3/cd-players with a better line out than the iRiver?

Thanks

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 5
I can't compare the sound quality between the two, but the line out on the iMP-400 is not really a line out. The volume directly varies witht the headphone out.

Mar 8, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 5
i have the ej925 and the imp350. since you're askin for line-out, the sony's sounds better since as was ist los confirmed, the -river's line-out is volume dependent. but for headphone out, the sony is stomped on (sony went downhill when the g-protection pcdp buffer was introduced).

i don't know about your sx469 but if its similar, the older pana ct570 devours the new sonys and irivers in both department.

Mar 8, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Tina, I will have to disagree about the Panasonic players having a better line-out than the Sony players. With the exception of the line-out of the 2001-model SL-CT780, the line-out of all Panasonic players are NOT true line outs, since all of the EQ functions (S-XBS, Train, Live) will affect the sound from those line-outs in addition to the sound from the headphone-out. Which means that the Panasonic line-outs do not bypass the crappy headphone op-amp, but rather must pass through such a crappy amp.

In other words, the Panasonic line-outs are NOT better -- and are often worse -- than the Sony line-outs.

Mar 9, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 5
eek.gif
thanks for that info, Eagle_Driver. i never knew that before. i guess since i turn off all eq settings the first moments after turning my ct570 on. hmmm, will check on this. you learn something everyday. looks like my v5 will fly to the ej925 permanently now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back