iPod vs. Zen review
Jan 31, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #31 of 32
Hi All -

I just wanted to add my .02 to the fray. I own an Ipod 10GB and a Jukebox2 10GB with a Windows XP machine.

1st, someone mentioned that when you use a 6pin firewire cable, the Ipod charges while attached to your computer. Yes, but on my Windows machine while it DOES charge, I've noticed that the HD also spins continuiously while it charges. Plus, there is no way to shut the Ipod off while connected to the computer (to power down the HD), unless you first unmount it, and then it stops charging. Any other Windows users notice this?

Secondly, (using MusicMatch), even adding just a few songs to the Ipod results in the what appears to be a complete re-write of the Ipod's contents (and with over 1000 songs on the Ipod, it takes forever!). When I add songs to the Jukebox (using Creative's Playcenter software, the same software that ships with the Zen), it only adds the new songs, which takes very little time.

I don't know if the items I've just mentioned are a result of the MusicMatch plug-in for the Ipod or something else. I have been a registered user of MusicMatch for about 5 years, (since about version 1.0, I think!), therefore I know the program inside and out. The general feeling about MusicMatch seems to be (from what I've read in other's posts), that most people HATE it. Personally, I think that it is a fabulous program, once you take the time to learn it. It does everything that I could possibly want it to. HOWEVER, the Ipod plug-in portion appears to have a lot of problems. It seems to take FOREVER for MusicMatch to mount the Ipod (sometimes 2 minutes!), and there are the other issues I've mentioned in the previous paragraph. BTW, I'm using v.7.5 along with the current Ipod plug-in.

Ephpod and MusicMatch don't want to play nice together, so I can't use them side by side on my machine. Therefore, I can't say whether Ephpod mounts faster, takes less time to transfer a few songs, etc. If anyone would care to address these issues, I would be appreciative.

I have a couple questions for fellow Ipod owners - (1. Why do some songs by a particular artist appear as a sub folder on the Ipod? From what I can see, all the tag info is the same as the other songs, but when I d'load them to the Ipod they appear in a different folder. (2. What does that sideways "X" symbol in the upper right corner of the Ipod's display screen represent, anyway!?

Thanks for reading this... (it's my first post to this forum).

zeldon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back