Ipod Touch 2g as an ebook pdf reader ?
Nov 21, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silencer23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you really sit around for 2 hours and read ?

Not sure what you mean by "can you really".

If you mean "is it big enough to stare into for 2 hours without eye fatigue", the answer would vary from person to person. If you mean battery life, the ipod touch can definitely last 2 hours. And I personally think any app you like or want to use would be fine.

Just passing by...

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 10
I use it to read Kindle books and stuff from Stanza. Very readable, just adjust the font size to make it comfortable. You may have to 'turn' more pages but not that big of a deal.

I use it for comix and it's also very usable. Comixology is quite good.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 10
I use my Touch as a reader, and like it very much. Some weeks I read several hours a day with it. I probably can read on it without pause for as long as I can read a physical book, and possibly longer.

It's not the same as reading a physical book, of course, but I've nonetheless found it a completely satisfying way of reading for pleasure. I don't find it very useful for reading reference works or textbooks where I might like to dog-ear and annotate and otherwise ruin my personal copy; while some readers offer some of these features, I find them so inferior to the handling afforded by a physical book that I really don't even try.

We used to own a Kindle, and it has since been given away. Both of us preferred our iThings (iPod Touch or iPhone) for reading. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY, lots of people seem to find the Kindle easier to read on.

iThing versus Kindle:
- self-illuminated vs. requiring room light
- need charging more often vs. Kindle needing charge perhaps 1x/week
- far faster page turning than Kindle
- higher contrast than Kindle
- much smaller screen than Kindle
- more choices of typefaces/sizes than Kindle (depending on which reader software you use)
- easier to hold in either hand without accidentally turning page
- some people find they feel less eye fatigue with Kindle, but we do not - we both prefer the higher contrast of the iThings.

For our eBook store we primarily use eReader.com, falling back to Kindle when we really want something that is not available on eReader. For software we of course use Kindle when we are reading a Kindle book, and my wife uses eReader for other books while I prefer Stanza. Stanza requires a couple extra steps to transfer an eReader.com title onto the device, but has some extra features that I like: a quick way of changing brightness within the app without going out to the control panel (very nice for nighttime reading), and more fine-grained control of type size. All three reader programs are free, so you can easily experiment and find what you want.

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Thank you guys !!
episiarch- Thanks, i'm sold now
smily_headphones1.gif
I wasn't expecting a comparison with a device such as the Kindle, but if it even gets close to it, it's perfect for me. !
I have alot of .PDF most 200-500 pages. will I be able to run them all smooth on Stanza ?

Seems like i'm going with a Touch 2G 16GB then.
If i'm already here, does the Touch 2G have BLUETOOTH ?
What are some other useful things you can do with it besides games (not useful lol)

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 10
I used to read books on a touch 2g. It's pretty ok for some non serious reading.. but pdf's with any illustrations are an exercise in pain. I'm using my Droid now.. and the text is so much clearer it's not funny. I'd strongly suggest you test the 2g before committing to buy one for PDF reading.

Have you considered the sony e-reader pocket edition? cheap as a touch ($199), MUCH higher resolution, and a bigger screen, but needs a booklight obviously. E- ink is way nicer to read in daylight i find.

Nov 23, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks craig
well, it's not ONLY for PDF reading,I've had this sony in my amazon cart for a while now, don't know when to push the Checkout button .........
What I want from it is to play movies, some casual music and PDF reading ...

Although that Sony does look really good....
Ahh, if I could only get both !

hehe

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Stanza is good for books in epub format but not so good for PDF. (It interprets PDF more as a stream of text than as a set of pages, and you lose much formatting that you probably want.) But the iPhone/Touch itself has a good PDF viewer built into the OS.

Mail the PDFs to yourself as attachments, receive your email on the Touch, and open the attachment. There's your book.

For things available in epub format the procedure is:
- install the desktop version of Stanza on your computer
- open the files in desktop Stanza
- open Stanza on your mobile device (while on the same wifi network as your desktop)
- in mobile Stanza, go to Library (top level) and tap Shared Books. From there you can find the files that are open in desktop Stanza and download them to your mobile device.

More details at Frequently Asked Questions | Lexcycle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back