iPod for Windows Mini-review
Sep 7, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I believe you can have custom EQ settings, but you need to set them on the computer -- they then transfer over when you sync. You can't set them from the iPod itself yet.

Nope, the custom EQ settings from iTunes don't transfer. For update 1.1 Apple's tech document 61567 says: " iPod does not use custom equalizer settings made in iTunes 2" and that "You can't create custom equalizer settings on iPod, or transfer custom settings to iPod." That has apparently not changed with 1.2.

Sep 7, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
Nope, the custom EQ settings from iTunes don't transfer. For update 1.1 Apple's tech document 61567 says: " iPod does not use custom equalizer settings made in iTunes 2" and that "You can't create custom equalizer settings on iPod, or transfer custom settings to iPod." That has apparently not changed with 1.2.

Ah, I see the confusion -- by "custom" I was thinking "different presets for each song" while you meant "custom" settings (using the EQ window to create your own settings). You *can* sync different presets for each song, but apparently you cannot sync custom settings.

Although at the Expo the iPod reps specifically said that was one of the new features coming...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by leon

Yay! The joy of upgradeable firmware.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

But Apple takes forever to make them, and even a longer time to fix bugs, especially the battery drain issues with 1.2.

Sep 10, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #21 of 23
Stop it guys, you're making me want to buy my iPod/4P setup right away!
smily_headphones1.gif
(Am planning on buying the two here pretty soon)

I have a couple quick questions though: (These are for the Windows iPod)
1. Has anybody used this sucessfully with the Audigy's Firewire port? I think it is a 6-pin port, I can't see it too clearly though. No compatibility issues though?

2. I already have a pda, and thus the calendar and contact features of the iPod seem kind of redundant to me. Is there a way to disable the whole "organizer" portion of the iPod and have it just be a music player?

3. Is there any way to install the iPod drivers without installing MusicMatch jukebox? I am a hardcore winamp user and don't really buy into any of the other programs.

Ruahrc

p.s. how is the battery life? Do you really get your full 11 hours?

Sep 10, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #22 of 23
1. Some people have. But many others experience IRQ sharing problems, which can sometimes be fixed by disabling the sound card in the device manager.

2. Yes, but only with the 5 and 10GB model I think. It requires some hacking though to make firmware 1.1 (contacts are there, but no clock or calendars) work with FAT32. But the extra features are burried in the Extras menu, so they don't really clutter the mp3 player.

3. Yes. Just plug in the iPod and use Ephpod to transfer mp3's over. You never have to even open the CD that comes with the PC iPod.

Apple estimates 10 hour battery life playing 160kbps, but of course YMMV. However, I find that the estimate is quite an understatement. On my old iPod, I got 12 hours playing a 192kbps album on repeat, and on my new one, I got around 13-14 hours playing a 256kbps album.

Sep 10, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Ruahrc

2. I already have a pda, and thus the calendar and contact features of the iPod seem kind of redundant to me. Is there a way to disable the whole "organizer" portion of the iPod and have it just be a music player?

[/B]

I would think you could just not use the calendar and that way it wouldn't take up any memory. But why not use it? Do you want to carry around both a PDA and the iPod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back