iPOD Battery?
May 9, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #76 of 83
mariowar, in no way shape or far does usb 2 come close to the speed of firewire. whoever told you this is a MORON.

"Don't be confused by the rated speeds you see emblazoned across USB 2.0 and FireWire product boxes. Despite USB 2.0's 80 Kbps speed advantage over FireWire, our testing showed that the additional overhead of USB 2.0 made it slower than FireWire. For high-bandwidth devices such as external hard drives, the difference was as high as 70 percent. *(ahem, iPod)* On a positive note, we noticed that the CPU usage of each interface was similar on our Pentium 4 1.3-GHz test system. During a 1.54GB data transfer from our system's internal hard drive to an external drive, USB 2.0 averaged 40 percent CPU usage compared to 37 percent for FireWire."

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/s...393571,00.html

Search www.google.com for more reviews.

May 9, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #77 of 83
Spad, I just got my Ipod working. I called the poor Apple costumer service ( It's a pitty), and even before I told them WHY I CALLED FOR, they started asking me what kind of Firewire port I had.....I told them that I bought I Belkin (compatible with XP) and they put me on hold for 15 minutes!!!! then they told me that they were sorry because my pmcia port was NOT compatible with XP.....and that I had to go and get a compatible one to move on.....I told them, hey, you don't even know why I'm calling you, and I told them that this Firewire port was so new that maybe Microsoft had not tested it yet......... they did not even care........Later on, I called them again, and SAME THING, picking on my Belkin card, then I just told them, I ALREADY KNOW THAT ACCORDING TO YOU, MY BELKIN CARD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XP, BUT WOULD YOU PLEEEAASE EXPLAIN ME HOW TO DOWNLOAD SONGS FROM THE PC TO MY iPOD? and they did it without letting me ask questions between the explanations and at the end they told me that I had to call MUsic Match, and they do not have phone supoort.... ANYWAY, it worked!!!
The saddest thing of all is that when the guy knew that I suceeded, he started with the same thing, ALL OVER AGAIN "would you please go to the Device manager? check if the port is working? and I told them.....hey of course it is...... if not tell me how did I download the songs?

May 9, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #78 of 83
SSblood, I apologize I don't really know much about computers and that's what representatives at Best Buy and Compusa told me, obviously they were watching the boxes of both....

May 9, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #79 of 83
It's fine
smily_headphones1.gif
Real suggestion though, people at Best Buy know nothing (most of the time), they couldn't even help me find a cable last time I was there.

May 9, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #80 of 83
Glad to hear you have it sorted out, Mariowar. Actually, Apple's support reputation is among the best in the industry. But the best I can say about Apple is that after 18 years of Mac ownership, I have yet to call them. Great customer support starts with insuring that help is rarely needed.
wink.gif

May 9, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #83 of 83
Quote:

Originally posted by mariowar
Hats off Spad, I saw the pictures, this is INSANE!! what a dissection. I could not find any instructions how to open it!!!

Chances are you'll never have to, but if so, there are instructions floating about. One of the iPod sites recently posted a step-by-step pictorial. It looked simple enough--even for a multi-thumbed klutz like me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back