ipod + atm-em7 = good?
Nov 23, 2002 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

badlydrawn

New Head-Fier
Hi all

First, this is my first post in head-fi - so greetings y'all.

i was having a read around on the em7s and thought it was worth taking the chance, even though it got mix results (after the initial craze : ). I wasn't looking to spend too much (ety's) and also don't like the ideas of stuff in my ear cavity... even earphones are uncomfortable sometimes. so i went for the em7s because of that - plus they just look so good : )

i also ordered an ipod 10bg windows recently for a test run, this is really my main concern. i know mp3s aren't as good as cd, but just didn't want to drag 20discs with me were ever i go and also, i try to compress above 256kbit vbr using lame - and i haven't heard the difference.

so the question is (sorry about the long windedness) - how good a source is the ipod and do u think the em7s would match? i like transparent, but slightly on the warm side sounds, and music range from electronica (boards of canada) to rock (godspeed you black emperor) - if that helps.

thanks in advance.

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 2
Congrats on your new iPod!

As a source, I think the iPod is pretty damn good. (I encode MP3s exactly as you specified.) My usual listening gear are the Etys or the Koss Porta Pros and both are excellent with the iPod, unamped.

If you'll take a look at today's Headphone postings, there is a not very good review of the EM 7s, so if you do not want to spend on the Etys (although I think you will save money in the end because they cannot be beat with the Pod), try the Porta Pros. At $31 shipped, they are well worth the moola!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back