iphone Audio Amps for Dongle Users
Oct 16, 2022 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

originalsnuffy

Headphoneus Supremus
Dongles, or USB DAC-AMPS for phones, are becoming a viable way to listen to high quality music. There is a great thread for discussing that.

What is missing is finding a great app to manage the music on the iphone. Apple Music is great for their closed ecosystem. Same with the Amazon App for example. But what if you roll your own music?

I figure we should talk about the iphone apps which work well with dongles. Preferably where managing folders or playlists is straightforward. Perhaps adding the DoP function to allow DSD streaming to dongles.

Lets discuss what we like, don't like, learned nuances and tips!

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 2
First I should mention that except for DSD, nPlayer is a nice app. It has capabilitites for downloading files and streaming from a server. Cost is modest.

Second, the free app from HiBy does provide DSD streaming support. However, I am having trouble figuring out how to reliably get it to play a SACD ISO straight through. I think I need to create a playlist. Otherwise it seems to revert to shuffle mode. I am sure there is a setting to sort all of this out, but I haven't found it.

My most reliable method to get music and in and out of the phone is to download from my Synology using DS Files. Then I move the files from DS File's folders to the app of choice (say HiBy).

My dongle of choice right now is the FIIO Q3-MQA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back