IPad as Source?
Dec 11, 2016 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Audioscope

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if this is the right thread to post, but I am really happy with using the iPad as a source instead of a computer.

In my opinnion, the iPad is great precisely because it enjoys an awesome user interface and has excellent app support, including streaming from my computer or from third party services.

My current iPad is is a 3rd gen with the older 30 pin Line-out, but it sounds great when paired with my Headstage Arrow 5TX amp, with a very organic but detailed sound.

I have my eye on the new iPad Pros (12.9") as a replacement to my current iPad.  Could anyone comment on the sound out of the iPad Pro via line out (especially compared to the older iPads)?  Any compatibility or usability issues?

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 14
  I don't know if this is the right thread to post, but I am really happy with using the iPad as a source instead of a computer.

In my opinnion, the iPad is great precisely because it enjoys an awesome user interface and has excellent app support, including streaming from my computer or from third party services.

My current iPad is is a 3rd gen with the older 30 pin Line-out, but it sounds great when paired with my Headstage Arrow 5TX amp, with a very organic but detailed sound.

I have my eye on the new iPad Pros (12.9") as a replacement to my current iPad.  Could anyone comment on the sound out of the iPad Pro via line out (especially compared to the older iPads)?  Any compatibility or usability issues?

There is no line out on any current iPad. You can use the headphone jack or a lightning adapter.  Contrary to some opinions, the headphone jack is actually excellent, there is no degradation in audio quality just because it's a headphone output.  In fact, its low source impedance is an advantage.

Any lightning audio adapter cable or dock contains a DAC, since there's no actual audio on the connector, just a bit stream. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 14
  There is no line out on any current iPad. You can use the headphone jack or a lightning adapter.  Contrary to some opinions, the headphone jack is actually excellent, there is no degradation in audio quality just because it's a headphone output.  In fact, its low source impedance is an advantage.

Any lightning audio adapter cable or dock contains a DAC, since there's no actual audio on the connector, just a bit stream. 

Does this mean that the pre-lightning port iPads are superior in sound quality when using the line-out?

I would love to pick up an ipad pro 12.9", but if the sound quality is going to take a dive, then it's not such an easy decision...

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioscope /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does this mean that the pre-lightning port iPads are superior in sound quality when using the line-out?

I would love to pick up an ipad pro 12.9", but if the sound quality is going to take a dive, then it's not such an easy decision...

Sound quality wouldn't matter as much if you'll just use digital output. If you're going to use an amp with it anyway then might as well a DAC-HPamp. Stream audio via USB and it's done.

Honestly if there's any drawback it'll be if you use lossless files, especially FLAC, since local storage is limited while at the same time streaming solutions are not totally lossless (save for dedicated music servers). I only have this iPad2 because I got it as a Christmas gift back in 2011, but now I use an Android phone.

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 14

Absolutely not. The headphone jack is a superb line out, likely better in some aspects than the line out on an old 30-pin.  Just be sure all EQ is off.  

The sound quality isn't "taking a dive" in any way shape or form, other than to take a hit from the power psychological bias , the thinking of it as the lowly headphone jack.

If we were talking iPhone 7, where they've dumped the analog headphone jack (and line out) altogether, which is the very apex of idiocy, then I'd have a different story.

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 14

Sound quality wouldn't matter as much if you'll just use digital output. If you're going to use an amp with it anyway then might as well a DAC-HPamp. Stream audio via USB and it's done.

Honestly if there's any drawback it'll be if you use lossless files, especially FLAC, since local storage is limited while at the same time streaming solutions are not totally lossless (save for dedicated music servers). I only have this iPad2 because I got it as a Christmas gift back in 2011, but now I use an Android phone.

Yeah, well FLAC on an IOS device is a slight challenge anyway, but if the device will play it, it won't take a hit because of the analog jack.  You can bump FLAC to Apple Lossless and end up bit-perfect, so it's not an audio issue at all.  

All the external DAC does is tweak your perceptions.  Big, beautiful, has to sound better than the jack, right?  Pretty sure that comparison would fail in an ABX, though.  

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 14
I was able to successfully bitstream a song from my iPad Pro into my DAC using the Camera Connection lightning dongle. I used the NetPlayer Lite app. The free version only supports 44.1k files, and I have to figure out how to get my music into the iPad's Music Library. The player supports DSD native and DoP, so I have figure how am supposed to move my DSD files to where the damn app will see them.

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 14
I agree with the above posters about the headphone out/line out being fine on iPads, though I use mine with the CCK and various DACs for preference.

Quote:
I was able to successfully bitstream a song from my iPad Pro into my DAC using the Camera Connection lightning dongle. I used the NetPlayer Lite app. The free version only supports 44.1k files, and I have to figure out how to get my music into the iPad's Music Library. The player supports DSD native and DoP, so I have figure how am supposed to move my DSD files to where the damn app will see them.

You'd use iTunes for this. When selecting the apps on the device, on the right scroll down, and the apps that support file uploading will be there. Then you can upload DSD files. Considering they are huge though, I tend to recommend investing in better digital gear before DSD. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 14

All the external DAC does is tweak your perceptions.  Big, beautiful, has to sound better than the jack, right?  Pretty sure that comparison would fail in an ABX, though.  

My point only was that since the OP was thinking of whether the sound quality changed or not, then I'm saying that digital output would make that concern moot.

Besides, even if it isn't any better on blind ABX testing (where you need to make sure that, for a start, both system configurations are at the same level), it's not like it will cost that much more if one buys an amp with a USB DAC input nowadays. Oh, wait, his DAC-HPamp actually has​ that already.

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 14
Maybe I will give it a try.  The DAC in my Arrow 5TX, unfortunately, is not quite as good as the amp section, so I like using it as an amp only.  

I also have an iphone 7 Plus, but had trouble getting my 5TX to work properly with its lightning port (would crash the phone sometimes).

Could someone tell me if all lighting USB cables/adapters contain DACs? I am still confused about this part.

Dec 25, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 14

Could someone tell me if all lighting USB cables/adapters contain DACs? I am still confused about this part.

No, a USB adaptor does not have a DAC, as USB is digital. 

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #13 of 14

No, a USB adaptor does not have a DAC, as USB is digital. 

Thanks.  So, that means a DAC is absolutely necessary when using the lightning port as output.  

I am so glad that the headphone jack has not been axed on the ipads yet.

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 14
Let's lift this old subject.
I have Grado Hemps, listen them with iPhone+Apple's dongle or Audiolab 6000A headphone out. Signal comes from Apple TV's HDMI to TV, from there by optical to Audiolab.
TV does optical 48khz always.
Sounds fantastic though. Both ways.

BUT if i want to test if there is even better sound to offer from Grado's i'm thinking to use my iPad as a source. From lightning to headphone amplifier which has usb dac.
Anyone use similar setup?

Opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back