Introduction
Sep 23, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 4
Good morning folks,

I just spent 40 years under every type of headphone you can think of, both for work-related reasons, audiophilia or just for fun. I just recently realized that in the audio realm headphones for the masses are a relatively new item, suffice it to say that the few surviving vintage phones that haven't fallen apart are rare and seldom sound good even when refurbished, in comparison to today's mid-fi offerings. As for high-end phones they are a product of this century. Sure there was the Stax Earspeaker that my father owned and thought was end-game, but everybody I hinvited to listen to it thought it sounded either dull or downright terrible. I personally thought it had a phase-linear filter stuck in it somewhere so plain it sounded regardless of the source. I want to discover the new technology, especially planars which I am especially fond of but man! are they power suckers.

I've been lurking for a few years and liked what I saw. Now, I'm turning 60 next Wednesday and am retiring at the end of that day. Time has come to indulge in a lifelong hobby that never fully blossomed what with raising kids, taking vacations that gnawed at my budget, pulling heavy trailers with large SUV's, etc. Now I've had the money for picking up ridiculously overpriced gear for a while, but no time to spare. At last the time has come, let the good times roll!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back