Introduction to HiFi world and still have to learn somethings :). I hope you guys can help me out!
Dec 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sp0ddermaN1

New Head-Fier
A few questions:

1: If I buy audiophile style headphones (Sennheiser HD 600/650) will i still be able to listen to my favorite songs on YouTube while using the full potential of the headphones because I know YouTube compresses audiofiles. If not, where and how can I still listen to my songs? 

2: Do I need a DAC to use an AMP or can I just only buy an AMP and use that for my headphones?

3: I looked on some other threads for the best AMP for the Sennheiser HD 650. All the people there recomended a 250 dollar AMP (Schiit Asgard 2). Here in Europe the Asgard 2 costs 240 euros (almost 300 dollars) and the Sennheiser HD 650 320 euros new but I think I going to buy a used pair for 200 euros. So my question is do I really have to buy an AMP nearly as expensive as the headphones themselves. Is something like the Magni(2) from Schiit not good enough to drive those 300 ohms headphones?

4: Anyone some other tips for me? 

Sorry my English isn't perfect i am from Holland and just 13 years old :p

Thanks all!

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 5
You can't buy good headphones at 13!! Only joking.

You will be able to enjoy Youtube; you might be made more aware of the bad quality encoding but that's all. I'm not clear what you mean about the 'full potential of the headphones'  - I guess you mean the ability to be very quiet as well as loud? Youtube will never be perfect so if you want to listen to music you will have to look elsewhere. Tidal has been in the news lately with lossless streaming so that's worth a look.

Technically you'll need only an amp to feed the correct power to the headphones, but with a poor dac (for instance) the sound may still be lacking in detail and resolution.

The Asgard 2 sounds about right - the HD650 is warm-sounding so a solid state amp is a good pairing. But for less money the Magni will be fine.

Other tips? Take care of your ears, and don't put cotton buds in your canals. Or your ear canals.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 5
Haha thanks for your reply!
smily_headphones1.gif

So far my research resulted in this:

For gaming (bf4 with insane audio) I think the HD600 are better.

I am pretty big Dubstep nut so then the Sennheiser HD650 would fit me better.

Do you agree with this statement?

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 5
  Haha thanks for your reply!
smily_headphones1.gif

So far my research resulted in this:

For gaming (bf4 with insane audio) I think the HD600 are better.

I am pretty big Dubstep nut so then the Sennheiser HD650 would fit me better.

Do you agree with this statement?

I haven't tried the HD600 or HD650 but I've read that alot of people dont prefer them for EDM purpose. Just thought I'd let you know that, but of course everything is personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back