Internal Vs. External sound cards...
Jun 6, 2004 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ProParadox

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I would like all of your opinions on which are the best.

I know the EMU 1212m is a bit of the flavor of the week. However, I want to know if there is a USB sound card that provides equal or better sound.

In general, are the USB sound cards better or worse? I woulda thought the isolation would help minimize interference and such.

LMK what you all think!

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 9
The DAC plays a very large role here as well. The thing is, E-MU has really put out a spectacular product, especially consiering the price. If you want outboard sound, go with the 1820m which has its DAC in the break out box. The best from RME have been said to need modding before it will break even/beat the E-MU 1212m in stock form. The 1212m can be modded and still come in under or near the price of the stock RME. The reason I bring up the RME is that it was the previous king of the hill and has even been given high ratings from Stereophile (class A if I recall correctly, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and that's in stock form. John Atkinson of Sterophile even used the RME in producing some of the finest recordings I've ever heard.

In terms of USB or Firewire, I haven't heard anything one way or the other about Echo products other than their Indigo. M-Audio's Delta Series are detailed but a bit bright, thin and some what lacking in the bass department. When compared to the E-MU the Audiophile USB seems very thin an lacks the musicality of the E-MU.

Some reasons not to get the 1212m:

You really need S/PDIF output that will carry DD/DTS signal

You are really want 24/96 WDM support (this is a driver issue and may be fixed in the future).

You need the money to fund your crack addiction...
very_evil_smiley.gif
jk

You could better spend the money on a romantic night in a hotel and a candle lit dinner for two (perferably in the suite with candles lighting the room and rose petals on the bed spread) with your wife or girlfriend and cannot afford both. ...sorry just the romantic in me popping up... hehehehe Damn you Orpheus you got me thinking about spending money on sweeping women off their feet instead of headphone gear in your thread the other day and I haven't been able to get it out of my head... grrr
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 9
The EMU is about the same price as the M-Audio Audiophile. How do they compare? Does the EMU outright beat the Revolution?

edit: also, I noticed the card is actually two cards. Why? What kind of connectors am I getting? Can I plug headphones and 4.1 speakers into it?

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
The EMU is about the same price as the M-Audio Audiophile. How do they compare? Does the EMU outright beat the Revolution?

edit: also, I noticed the card is actually two cards. Why? What kind of connectors am I getting? Can I plug headphones and 4.1 speakers into it?

I have both cards (1212m and audiophile USB), the E-MU is warmer, more musical and natural sounding. They both offer a lot of detail but the Audiophile puts a lot of emphasis on the highs making it a bit on the fatiguing side. The E-MU has way more detail in the bass and the detail in the highs is less apparent but it's still there, it's kinda funny actually. At first it seems as though it's less detailed but then you realize, nothings missing it's just not blaring at you. This is how live music tends to be. I would say yes, the E-MU beats the M-Audio cards outright, but I suppose this could be subjective. I have yet to meet anyone who would disagree that has heard both though.

The main card has firewire, a RJ-45 jack for connecting with a break out box, optical ADAT switchable to S/PDIF and coax S/PDIF, the daughter card that doesn't actually connect to the PCI slot, just sits in a PCI slot. You could probably stick it in an ISA slot if you have an old MOBO since like I said it doesn't actually need the connection, just the slot. The daughter card connects to the main card with a cable similar to an IDE cable but smaller. The daughter card has two 1/4" inputs (balanced TRS or unbalanced TR) and two 1/4" outputs (also balanced or unbalanced) as well as midi connections.

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
FYI the cable connecting the two cards of the 1212M is a floppy cable
biggrin.gif

LOL, I almost said that, but didn't want to trust my memory... haven't been getting a lot of sleep lately...

Jun 6, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back