Interference through headphone cord - rubbing on clothes, etc
Apr 6, 2009 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dholmes

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Just bought the RE2s and the sound quality is brilliant! This is my first set of headphones that i've owned which weren't just bundled with a music player or something, so I apologise if im asking basic questions.

My only complaint at the moment is that i am able to hear every little touch on the cord through my headphones quite loudly. I'm not using them at very high volumes and im sure if i was the music would drown them out, but ive gone as loud as my ears can stand and I'm still hearing the interference. It seems to be so sensitive that even if i turn my head a bit i can hear quite loudly the cord scraping against my shirt or neck.

Having not used in-ear headphones before i figure that I might not be getting the right seal or using them properly in some other way. However from what I've read im very sure the seal is fine; ive heard the tinny sound of a bad seal and im definitely not getting that, and as mentioned previously the sound quality has been brilliant. Is there such thing as getting too good a seal or a seal that is too sensitive?

Or does the solution lie in something like getting extra insulation to go around the cord? Or does the cord need time to wear in and get softer/resistant to interference or something?

Due to the nature of the problem it certainly doesn't feel like a defect or anything, if anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 11
always had the same problem with my cheapo IEMs. you could tape the cord to your person...

wasn't suggesting that your IEMs were cheap, but mine are. sorry if you misunderstood.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 11
It's called "Microphonics" and a lot of OEM headphone cables have them. One of the most expensive ones, the Qualia 010 costs close to $3K new, and is going for more, used.

It all has to do with the material used for insulation. I know that Etymotics changed their ER4P cord 3 years back due to popular demand.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. That's a bit of a bummer tho...

@jageur272 - It actually came with a shirt clip, i just didn't try it out because i didn't realise it would make things better. I've tried it out now and it definitely helps, but kind of a pain

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dholmes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. That's a bit of a bummer tho...

@jageur272 - It actually came with a shirt clip, i just didn't try it out because i didn't realise it would make things better. I've tried it out now and it definitely helps, but kind of a pain

Oh man! When I got mine, it didn't come with one. Lucky you!

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 11
"BUY a shirt clip". LOL.

Take a PAPERCLIP from your desk. Problem solved.

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Yea, either under the shirt or jacket works. Pretty much any way you can prevent the cord from flopping around while you walk will help reduce the microphonics you hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back