Interchangable [quiet!] fan for laptops ?
Sep 29, 2004 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sisyphos

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using my Toshiba Satellite together with an Echo Indigo.
It's all set up to get the best out of it (Foobar, ASIO, 24/96).
But what still really bothers me is the fan that starts up every few minutes. Although I've heard louder ones on other laptops this one is still quite noisy. I've already installed the newest BIOS, but this didn't help much.
So I'm wondering if there are any interchangeable fans that are an improvement in this regard.
Maybe there are even other ways to handle this problem that I've not yet considered.

Sep 29, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 4
Most likely not. And you don't want to anyway.

Laptop cooling solutions are A) very proprietary, and depending on CPU B) pretty minimal, usually.

You could mod the fan, but you will cause the system to overheat. Most laptops that are even remotely modern (P2 and up) have temperature sensitive fans, that run based on CPU and system temperature. If these fans are changed, the entire cooling system changes, and the system loses calibration, and could also overheat.

It is possible however, that you have processes running which are using lots of CPU time, such as spyware, or a virus, or that the heatsink is dirty and needs cleaning.

Sep 29, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 4
You can try what I do with my mom's laptop (on the rare occasions I use it): use SpeedFan to bypass the automatic fan speed control and set the fan so that it keeps the CPU under 60*C while not being to loud. It might not work on your laptop though.

Sep 30, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Just a little something else to consider, my fans seem quieter after every cleaning. Heatsink, fan blades, heat pipes, etc... Just blowing things out doesn't help much with my particular laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back