Intelligent Adult Pop
Nov 19, 2001 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Twin

New Head-Fier
This category does not get a lot of attention, and absolutely zero radio. But there are a lot of great singer / songwriters out there.
Most of my favorites are female, and I'd sure like to know if there are any of you out there that appreciate the same kind of stuff.

Barbara Kessler
Dee Carstensen
Melanie Doane
Kim Richey
Jonatha Brooke
Sara Hickman
Holly Cole
Mae Moore
Jann Arden
Patty Griffin
Holly Palmer

If any of you are into this kind of music, I'd sure like to get some additional recommendations.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Nov 20, 2001 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 15
Can't claim to know music from the rest (well I have heard "Goliath" on a trip to Canada), but I loooooooove Jann Arden.

Have all her albums as well as a number of items from eBay (e.g. Stand by me). Will be trying to get my hands on her greatest hits thing too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well this is the category I'd like to move into, Twin, so we'll see. Don't think I've got anything to recommend; I'm still a sucker for catchy melodies, so as a result I can often veer away from the "intelligent" part.

Waiting on Natalie Merchant's latest to be released locally...

Nov 20, 2001 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 15
I heartily recommend the stunning, jaw-dropping, goose-bump producing, hair-on-the-back of the-neck-raising debut album by Tom McRae, called "Tom McRae".

He's English, in his late 20's, and the album is pretty stark, and sounds like it takes placee late at night. The album sets a consistent mood and tone, and holds together as a single piece composed of very short, direct, and bulls-eye, stratight to the point songs. This isn't feel-good music and the basic mood is paranoia. If that doesn't turn you off, I couldn't give it a higher recommendation. He was on the list for the Mercury Prize, a prestigious British music award, for this album. It's priced cheap, and is the best singer-songwriter debut in ages. Give it a shot and thank me later.

"If songs could kill, this one's for you."-- Tom McRae. And he means it, man!

markl

Nov 22, 2001 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 15
Jann Arden, so THAT'S who did that song "Insensitive" that was on the radio several years ago. Never realized. I love threads like this, I'm already discovering more music I want to buy (Jann Arden, Kim Richey, Melanie Doane). Still looking for samples from the others on the list and Tom McRae. I also recommend Shawn Colvin and Aimee Mann.

Nov 24, 2001 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 15
THANK YOU...GOD... THANK YOU!!!!!! Someone who recommends Shawn Colvin !!!
biggrin.gif

Much of her writing hit very close to my feelings, to the point that I can only say, woah. Even "Whole New You" which was reviewed as mediocre by a lot of critics... the theme I picked up from the songs is totally representative of how I feel this year.

On the other hand.. I'd recommend every Jann Arden album, except for her debut (still better than many other debuts though). My favorite is "Happy?", for the songs are most tightly bound together in theme and sound. "Blood Red Cherry" is good but quite a big variety, not unlike a pasta salad.

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 15
I found Sara Hickman's cover of "Mad World" while searching through iTunes (don't worry - I only use iTunes to find and identify music / artists, not to actually buy it - much prefer CDs).

Her voice sounded intriguing, and it sounded like a decent cover of the song, I might pick up 'The MotherLode'.

Oh and I can also recommend Shawn Colvin and Aimee Mann - btw iTunes is a great way to listen to reasonably high quality sample of songs from threads like this to decide what albums to pick from their catalogs, although the iTunes catalog itself is far from complete.

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 15
i think i can conjure up a few:

Damhnait Doyle
Tara MacLean
Martina Sorbara
Vienna Teng
Sarah Slean

i'm not entirely sure what really classifys an artist as "intelligent adult pop", unless it's a different term from "adult alternative"

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This category does not get a lot of attention, and absolutely zero radio. But there are a lot of great singer / songwriters out there.
Most of my favorites are female, and I'd sure like to know if there are any of you out there that appreciate the same kind of stuff.

Barbara Kessler
Dee Carstensen
Melanie Doane
Kim Richey
Jonatha Brooke
Sara Hickman
Holly Cole
Mae Moore
Jann Arden
Patty Griffin
Holly Palmer

If any of you are into this kind of music, I'd sure like to get some additional recommendations.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Nice stuff, I have something by most of these ladies.

I would add a bunch, just took a 5-minute look through some of my stuff:

- Heidi Berry
- The Blue Nile
- Jeff Buckley
- Lori Carson
- Eva Cassidy
- Beth Nielsen Chapman - "Sand & Water" is incredible, especially if you know someone who has experienced loss
- Ani Difranco - a little crazier/funkier; I like "Little Plastic Castles" and "Up Up Up Up Up" the most
- Disappear Fear
- Everything But The Girl - before they went hip-hop
- Julia Fordham
- Tish Hinojosa - Tex-Mex, a sweet voice and "honest" sounding
- Kirsty MacColl - RIP....a sad loss
- Sarah McLachlan - may be a bit overboard/heavy, but I've almost always enjoyed her music
- Eleanor McEvoy - especially "Yola" - great songwriting and recording
- Lynn Miles
- Tift Merritt - especially "Tamborine"
- Heather Nova - a little less mature, but more passionate IMO; one of my 3 faves
- October Project/Mary Fahl - "Gothic Art Pop" - moody and hauntingly beautiful. Highly recommend OP's self-titled debut, or Mary's solo album. OP's second album good but not great
- Sam Phillips
- Jane Siberry - really great to see her develop from quirky in her earlier work to more soulful later, and liking almost all of it
- The Story & Jennifer Kimball - the "other part" of Jonatha Brooke, though you probably have it
- June Tabor - I only like a bit of her stuff, but she did an album with The Oyster Band that is really great IMO
- Suzanne Vega
- Dar Williams

Wow.....time to go listen
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 15
Belle & Sebastian
Rachael Yamagata
Regina Spektor
Elephant Micah
the Arcade Fire

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 15
was probably sarah mclachlan until norah jones took over...incidentally, i think sarah's work before Surfacing was much more interesting...

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 15
Saint Etienne

Regards,

L.

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 15
I'd strongly suggest Sarah Blasko. She's an Australian singer-songwriter whose debut, The Overture and the Underscore is a great collection of very well written songs. She has a great voice, and the album is impeccably produced. Her follow-up, What The Sea Wants, The Sea Will Have, was just released this fall in Australia, and is available as an import in the US. I just received it today and came away from the first listen very impressed. It's another strong album with added depth and scope, and again, great production.

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 15
^ ohh, cursed imports!!! i didn't know she released a new album...V_V thanks for the heads up!

while we're on the subject of artists from down-under, you must check out Bic Runga. She's from New Zealand and her latest album, Birds is poised to be a breakout album for her in my opinion; her best work to date. she has a dark, soulful voice which fits well to the instrumentation. be sure to look into her other albums, Drive & Beautiful Collision

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #14 of 15
If Belle and Sebastian count, I'd suggest Isobel Campbell whose lovely voice can be frequently enjoyed on Belle and Sebastian's Dear Catastrophe Waitress. Very soothing and beautiful music. Not exactly my cup of tea, but a friend recommended her recently and what she does she does very well indeed.

Some might also enjoy Sam Prekop. I got his CD from one of Head-Fi's gift exchanges several years ago (thanks StuartR!) and still enjoy it from time to time.

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heartily recommend the stunning, jaw-dropping, goose-bump producing, hair-on-the-back of the-neck-raising debut album by Tom McRae, called "Tom McRae".
markl

Thanks. I try him as you recommend and yes, i'm his fan now.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got his second album. I would prob get his first in a couple of days but i like what i hear so far. BTW, he gives out 3 songs (in mp3) in his site. check it out.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back