Input on air filtration
May 11, 2020 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pixie35

New Head-Fier
With the new craze surrounding the coronavirus, fully justifiable, don't get me wrong, I see more and more of my friends and acquaintances buying all sorts of tech and appliances to keep a more sterile environment in their homes. The only means that makes any sense for me is a dust air purifier cause if it can handle particles that small, it must do well with bacteria and viruses too, right? I've done some research on the topic, and what I found is that it needs a UV light of sorts to actually destroy microorganisms. Now on to my actual question, do you have a specific suggestion for me? I found a Hathaspace with UV here https://www.optimainstitute.com/purifiers/dust-removal.html. I'm keen on it but I'm not willing to spend that much cash until I get more input cause maybe I'll later see something better and regret my purchase, as usual, did the same mistake with my dishwasher and I'm not willing to let history repeat itself. TIA guys, have a good day and stay safe.

May 11, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Where I work most of my colleagues work at home. There are some who still come to work too. I have to come to work to use one of the test beds. I actually open the window to let fresh air from the outside in. If the air inside just recirculates the virus recirculates too and multiply. I don't believe the filter can trap them all and I don't believe the UV can kill them all even if they can. In nursing homes the air inside just get recirculated.

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 5
Regarding germs, UV light can be effective, and fresh outdoor air is also helpful. Just remember that probably the greatest defense against pathogenic microorganisms are the “good” non-pathogenic microorganisms. So in general, unless one has a significantly weakened immune system, one does NOT want to live in too sterile an environment. Be careful when out and about, and be cautious what you bring home, but o/w use common sense, wash your hands, practice proper hygiene, but let germs be germs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back