Individual Headphone Calibration - Alternatives to Sonarworks?
Mar 31, 2019 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xk.a

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Sonarworks offers an individual calibration service for headphones. You mail them your headphones, they measure the frequency response and generate a custom EQ profile that will make the frequency response flat.

However, they charge a lot of money for this service, and the custom EQ profile is actually locked to their proprietary software, which costs more money.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a similar service, where I could mail in my headphones and have them measured? Preferably for a more sensible cost.

Thanks

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

Sonarworks offers an individual calibration service for headphones. You mail them your headphones, they measure the frequency response and generate a custom EQ profile that will make the frequency response flat.

However, they charge a lot of money for this service, and the custom EQ profile is actually locked to their proprietary software, which costs more money.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a similar service, where I could mail in my headphones and have them measured? Preferably for a more sensible cost.

Thanks
Bumping this. I haven't been able to find anyone else offering a service like this. Proprietary software is a deal-breaker for me (I use EQ APO).

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 6
Fairly certain such a (competing) service does not exist. It's very niche, and Sonarworks kind of "got there first". The bulk of their customers are professional musicians, producers and such, so it's just "the cost of doing business" to them.

I guess in theory anyone with the measuring equipment and knowledge could do it, the trick is finding someone who has the time and desire.

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 6
Fairly certain such a (competing) service does not exist. It's very niche, and Sonarworks kind of "got there first". The bulk of their customers are professional musicians, producers and such, so it's just "the cost of doing business" to them.

I guess in theory anyone with the measuring equipment and knowledge could do it, the trick is finding someone who has the time and desire.
That makes sense. I'm fine making my own EQ profile from a raw FR graph. The main issue is that the MiniDSP Ears rig (the only remotely affordable measurement rig) apparently isn't always accurate, particularly for Audeze headphones (according to Resolve's experience).
I have my eyes on an LCD-4 in the future, and unit variation can make it more challenging to EQ them based on the FR of a different unit, as I understand.

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 6
The main issue with Sonarworks calibration service is that they don't offer a Harman curve EQ profile, you have to use their proprietary Sonarworks curve EQ profile which is far from perfect.
Canada and US residents can contact mitch [at] accuratesound.ca for measuring and correcting headphones.
More information: https://accuratesound.ca/headphone-calibration/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back