In search for a Bassy and loud Headset.
Jul 16, 2014 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iNen1

New Head-Fier
Hello guys

Let me first state that I have absolutely no knowledge about anything related to audio. I don't know what Noise to Signal ratio means, i don't know what ohms on a headphone indicate, i have no idea about all the virtual surround software like dolby headphones and the like.

I have owned 2 headsets so far. The Siberia V2 and now the Astro A40's. The main reason I picked up the Astros, was because i was dissatisfied with the bass on the Siberia. Now, the bass on the A40's isn't lousy by any means, but i expected more. Also, i wish it was louder. So, i will be returning the Astros now to find a better pair. I most likely have totally unrealistic expectations regarding Headphones/Headsets, but i'm searching for a headset that has very, very strong bass and is quite loud. My ears should literally be vibrating if possible. I've already looked through this site, as well as searched google and a dozen other boards for a good pair, but I couldn't find anything useful.

My problem is, i require a Headset for gaming. I only play multiplayer games like Dota, CoD, Battlefield, Left 4 Dead etc. I'm on teamspeak all the time, communication is KEY. My problem is, that all recommended headphones are without built in microphone. I live outside the US, and have not found a cheap alternative to the Modmic. Can anyone recommend me a good pair of Headsets that have very strong, heavy Bass and are very loud? Or are Headsets really that **** compared to Headphones?

Also, i have the A40's without the mixamp, and only a onboard sound card. Can the bass be boosted by a dedicated soundcard or is the A40 just not a good headset for that use?

Oh i forgot to mention, i live in Switzerland where getting some Headphones from a niche Company is quite difficult without investing major dough. The mainstreams like Sennheiser, Turtle Beach, Razer, Roccat, Steelseries, Creative and so on are no problem.

Price range should be around, i dunno, let's say 250-300 dollars.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 11
If you want good bang for your buck don't get a headset, those companies don't know what they are doing audI really recommend the Beyerdynamic DT990s for gaming.  (They are open back headphones so they leak sound but have a nice soundstage and a great amount of bass.

If you can't deal with sound leaking try the Beyerdynamic DT770

Pair these up with an Asus Xonar DG or DGX soundcard (You will need to know what PCI ports your computer has to find out which one you need, use CPU-Z to find out http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z/supported-hardwares.html)

Then you can get a clip on mic like the Zalman Zm-Mic1 or if you want a better boom mic you can get the AntLion Modmic
here's a comparison I made using that sound card for your reference: https://soundcloud.com/user227449399/mic-test

Amazon Prices (U.S.):
DT990 250ohm Pro: $153.50
Xonar DGX:  $37.98  (Tell me which motherboard you have and I can tell you which card you need the DGX or DG)
Zalman Zm-Mic1: $7.56
So if you can find it around that price you will get awesome sound quality for a really nice price.

Also I haven't tried them but the Creative Aurvana Live headphones are nice closed headphones for gaming I've heard and they can be had for ~$70  I'd see if you could find them in a local store

I looked online for Swiss sites if for some reason Amazon doesn't work well for you

From Conrad.ch
you can get the Xonar DGX for CHF 44.95
And the Creative Aurvana Live Headphones for CHF 74.95

As for the microphones or Beyerdynamic headphones I'm sure you can find those somewhere.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 11
Sorta just wish we had stores where you could try every headphone. I still haven't tried V-Moda or Grado. Hard buying blind.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 11
That would be nice because I've read a lot of conflicting reviews about V-Moda and people calling them just another consumer headset. Although everybody seems to agree that the Boom-Pro is nice if your headphones can support it.

You could try Guitar Center if you have one in your area although I dont believe they sell Grado.

It's just crazy to me how bad the consumer headphone market is. I was in Best Buy and Office Depot yesterday looking for a clip on mic that neither sell and the other then a few pairs of Sennheisrrs like the Momentum, all they have to try are things like Beats, Monster, Bose and some low end Sonys.

I can't stress though how much you should get those Fidelio X1's. It's a bassy headphone with an open design and great for gaming. I just saw one for sale here the other day for $220 which the guy claims to have used once. Might be worth checking out since I believe they are currently. $300 on Amazon.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 11
Best Buy in my area had both momentums, not all the colors but they had them.

Guitar Center only seems to have Shure, AKG and Audio-Technica

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 11
Bassy and relatively easy to drive.

Get the Fidelio X1 + V-moda BoomPro

Chances are, with this, you'll never need any other headset. If you STILL need more bass than that... well, you're a total basshead, and will pronbably require something more like the V-moda M100 instead of the X1.

I could've told you the A40s weren't gonna have much bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back