Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #737 of 18,052
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #738 of 18,052
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #739 of 18,052
@holsen It’s fast, hoping standard shipping isn’t congested for Black Friday and Christmas gifts...
I got my OM in 6 days but I live in Italy

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #740 of 18,052
I decided to give the Symbios a whirl for the Semper. Anyone tried them? Maybe with Opus Mia or Rah?
I have the issue of foam making my ear canals itch vs silicone, which doesn't bug me, but also doesn't have the sonic and isolation properties that foam has...

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #741 of 18,052
Try Azla Xelastec 😉

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #742 of 18,052
I decided to give the Symbios a whirl for the Semper. Anyone tried them? Maybe with Opus Mia or Rah?
I have the issue of foam making my ear canals itch vs silicone, which doesn't bug me, but also doesn't have the sonic and isolation properties that foam has...
Symbios were my favorite on the R1, but never kept good seal on the R2. But it’s the new chassis so I should shut up - only people with the Opus Mia or the new Aten can know.

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #743 of 18,052
I bought the Symbios - Don't like them at all. I find them shallow and hard and they dont isolate nearly as well as Foam or Azla Sedna or Xelastec. I like the Xelastecs on the RAH & EDP but they deform easily. I also have the QueenLab Hybrids, which are similar to Symbio W but a bit softer. I dont like them either. PM me your address and I'll drop them in an envelope for you. You should try those Tennmak Foams referenced earlier. They're not like Comply. They're not porous. It's like a smooth silicone foam - good chance they wont cause that itch

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #744 of 18,052
Funny you should ask, because I was experimenting with the Symbio W and the Misodiko tips just yesterday. I hadn't liked the Symbios at all when I got them and tried them on several of my IEMs. I couldn't get a good fit or seal, they kept falling out of my ears, and I found them too hard.
The Misodiko, on the other hand, are softer and their foam doesn't rebound as quickly, so it's easier to get them in deeper. I also found that they work extremely well with the new Aten. Everything is just right, and the seal is outstanding. From what I noticed they also boost the sub-bass a little. I was very happy with how well the Misodiko paired with the Aten, so I gave the Symbio W a try as well, and they actually worked better with the Aten than with any other IEM I had tried them on. I still like the Misodiko more because they are softer, easier to put in, and they isolate better.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #745 of 18,052
Here's the proper link for the Tennmak Foam on Ali Express. The description reads
TENNMAK 12pcs Ultra Strong Earphone Memory Foam Eartips Ear Tips Earpads Earbud Tip Suit for 4.5-6.0mm Nozzle earphone

I just measured the bore and it's 4.2mm They Stretch so they should work with everything between 4.5 and 6mm as described.
Thanks for the information! I've gotten burned on Comply foam tips before, ordered blind wasted like 12 bucks. This helps, and the link works too!!

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #746 of 18,052
Yeah, I also ordered a box of the Tennmaks last night. First time I've ordered from AE (swore I never would, LOL). Had some $2 coupon (no clue why); I find it funny they charge sales tax....wonder if that money actually makes it to my state's taxing authority, not holding my breath, hahahaha. Anyway, it was like $4.98 total. I tend to despise foam tips, but at that price, no risk and no buyer's remorse. Maybe I'll like them enough. Thanks for the heads-up.

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #747 of 18,052
Yeah, I also ordered a box of the Tennmaks last night. First time I've ordered from AE (swore I never would, LOL). Had some $2 coupon (no clue why); I find it funny they charge sales tax....wonder if that money actually makes it to my state's taxing authority, not holding my breath, hahahaha. Anyway, it was like $4.98 total. I tend to despise foam tips, but at that price, no risk and no buyer's remorse. Maybe I'll like them enough. Thanks for the heads-up.
The sales tax thing is between the USA and AE. Nothing I bring into Canada from AE or eBay China Sellers gets taxed. Everything I get from the US from eBay even, used items (iems, power supplies, etc.) from private sellers gets immediately taxed by eBay at the time of transaction. I'll be interested to know how long they take to arrive.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #748 of 18,052
I'm curious right now wondering what is your go to IMR variant.

For myself it is still the OG R2 Aten, without a second thought it is still the one I instinctively pick up and listen to the most and I have to consciously choose to listen to something else. It just plays everything exactly how I wish them to fits the best and just all round the gold standard signature wise hence why he made them gold coloured I guess. I suspect they just improve over time like any fine alcoholic beverage does. I'm not saying it is perfect but my god it is so immensely engaging

My current choices are Zenith, Aten R2, Red and PB1.
I also had previously the Rah, EDP and Opus Mia.
I'm awaiting the Semper, little interest in the PB2 and I'd like to have the new Aten5 due to Aten R2 being my favourite.

So what do you default to?

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #749 of 18,052
I'm curious right now wondering what is your go to IMR variant.

For myself it is still the OG R2 Aten, without a second thought it is still the one I instinctively pick up and listen to the most and I have to consciously choose to listen to something else. It just plays everything exactly how I wish them to fits the best and just all round the gold standard signature wise hence why he made them gold coloured I guess. I suspect they just improve over time like any fine alcoholic beverage does. I'm not saying it is perfect but my god it is so immensely engaging

My current choices are Zenith, Aten R2, Red and PB1.
I also had previously the Rah, EDP and Opus Mia.
I'm awaiting the Semper, little interest in the PB2 and I'd like to have the new Aten5 due to Aten R2 being my favourite.

So what do you default to?
RAH is my go to. They are so musical, full, wide, deep, crisp, clear,extended and detailed. I love them.... Seriously thinking about getting them reshelled into CIEMs

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #750 of 18,052
RAH, PB1, OM, all have been serving me well. Each have their own merits.

To my ears, Rah on black nozzle blue filter is more vibrant and fun with a little forward sounding than PB1 in the midrange and probably having slightly better treble or ‘travelling treble’ a old school term we used to in my younger days. I normally use RAH for TOTO Minefields, Sting Mercury Falling, Dire Straits Live AT The BBC, Neil Young, Doors albums.

For the rest of fast rock and metal I go for PB1 coz of that thump harder forceful impact and weighty bass that I love. And PB1 on Red nozzle black filter probably has the best stereo imaging and layering in the midrange. Treble is as good as Rah.

Well OM is my weekend morning brain therapist before and after my usual morning stroll in the park. Jazz, instrument jazz, pop and my mandarin collections to submerge me through the afternoon. Close port black nozzle blue filter since day 1 as I feel this combo is more harmonious. Goose bumps when hearing Kitaro and Noel Quinlan this morning.

Semper? Coming soon..

As we tends to hear differently, so do take my sharing with a little saltiness. Enjoy is key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back