Improvised Amping
Dec 12, 2004 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Csidinim

100+ Head-Fier
I do not have the financial means to get a dedicated amp and my computer's usb soundcard offers only really low level sounds (but incredibly clean for a source though weak and bass-less) so I got the idea to dig up my old minidisc recorder that I can use to boost the signal a bit. Considering how much fun the minidisc unit sound signature is, I was right about it improving my source by a ton. The Sony MD recorder is set on (infinite) record/pause, powered by AC adapter, and it's bass boosted sound (without megabass) fits together with the usb soundcard sound perfectly. I can set the recording level up and adjust the unit volume to pretty good levels without distortion (much better than software preamping or EQ). I'm considering pairing this with my Karma too because despite the strength of its EQ and headphone out, the sound isn't as colored to be enjoyable and use of the EQ distorts on some music. Hope this inspires someone or something, to be creative as not everyone can toss down a hundred something for so many specific parts.

I'm using A500 and all low-impedance headphones by the way, so this would probably not work for high-impedance stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back