Impressed with Hifi-man he-4xx, is there any reason to upgrade to more expensive models?
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

squidman

100+ Head-Fier
So as far as more expensive models go, have Hifi-man he-4xx (which are still a budget can), AKG k712 pro (too brittle for me) and Sennheiser HD600 (probably my best cans). So wondering given my low-budget setup (Schiit Magni and Modi) is there any reason to upgrade to a better hifi-man headphone? See on the online website a lot of models being sold for huge discounts. But wary of those discounts. Does it even make sense with my budget dac/amp combo to go there? And if you recommend something, what would be the next logical step up (say in the 500 dollar range or something). Super-happy with my hi-fimans so far, super comfy nice sound lacking detail but good for hours of listening. So happy with the brand. Just wondering if I can step it up a bit (and wondering if my ears will hear the difference!) without breaking the bank. I have a feeling all improvements in sound will be incremental and not worth the increase in dollars.
Well all suggestions welcome! Total newb here, haven't yet taken out a second mortgage yet to finance headphones.

Regards

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 11
I've had almost every Hifiman. The Arya Stealth will be a major upgrade and probably replace all your others. Refurb or open box from the gives an 18 month warranty if you like them on Facebook. The Sundara isn't an upgrade from your hd600 and the Ananda Stealth is just a little better, not worth the difference. I'd just aim for the Arya Stealth or not at all if you want a really big improvement.

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for reply. Is it worth it with budget Schiit dac/amp combo? Haven't checked yet, but are they open-backed or closed-back? Really looking for open-backed cans here for listening to from the pc.

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 11
See that open-backed and for 899 within price budget. Good call! My limit was around a grand.

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Well just put 9k euro into my retirement fund/portfolio, and have just around a few hundred euro left to see me through next 10 days, so will have to wait. But on my list! Thanks for the advice!

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 11
Wow didn't know it was a chinese firm, but then put 9k euro into an index which tracks Chinese EV's and batteries including BYD. Go China! I hope! Maybe I should put monies into A-shares of chinese audio companies? Don't know of an index that tracks them though. But doing very well. Very hard for foreigners to buy into A-shares on Hang Seng. Or something I forget. A-shares, B-shares etc.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Well, the OG said that they were happy...upgrading is a slippery slope.

The Sundara 2020 used is a good sized step up from the 4XX for not much $.

It would help to know what you listen too, any plans to spend on your equipment in the next 12-18 mos. and what have you heard that you like/don't like not mentioned yet?

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 11
i remember having the HE-400i and the 660s (used) early on in my headphone love affair along with a Loxjie tube amp and an ifi nano BL and thinking, 'can it really get better than this?' i think i would have made it if i'd stopped watching Zeos Pantera but then he had to go and start gushing over the ZMF Aeolus and well....I am still here!

for me, it did. I think i've topped out at the diana phi - i know there are better headphones like susvara and stuff but i think these are my actual endgame. i picked them up off the Classifieds here and haven't taken them off since.

i'd love to be a good guy and say if you're happy, then stay happy and enjoy your cans BUT since you made this thread we all know you're already searching around for a new pair of cans and just need some validation from fellow hobbyists.

Well here it is buddy - you go get your happiness!!!! Only you know deep down if you should upgrade or if you're good to go, so I support your decision either way.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 11
Well as previous poster mentioned, think the Arya Stealth is a good match for me. Open, and lower down models are not much of an upgrade from HD600. Will have to wait a bit, put all my monies into my retirement fund, so saving up again. But thanks again for all the comments, much appreciated from a total newb.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 11
As far as listening preferences, I listen mostly on Tidal hi-fi off the pc to blues, pop, rock, some oldies, sometimes classical. So varies. The he-4xx have been very good on pop but lack a bit of precision. The hd600's are better there. The akg k712's still need burning in, not a fan of those although I LOVED my previous akg k612's. Unfortunately fixed cable, which I destroyed so sent them off to a forum member for free to repair and use. Found a better home now. But wow after (cough cough hundreds of hours of burning in) they sounded great. Don't have the same high hopes for k712, they're not terrible, but a bit brittle. On the other hand, replaceable cables. So far the hd600's are probably my best cans. And he he-4xx the most comfortable to listen to.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #11 of 11
After listening to these, pretty hard to go back to my old cans (akg k271 mkii and Beyerdynamic dt770 pro ). Not to mention Superluxes. Still pretty impressed with Bose Quiet Comfort (latest version) for noise cancelling after 30+ hour trip, can't say I listened to any music. Just put on noise-cancelling, for which they worked really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back