IMOD FAQ !
Jan 22, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 2
I have had a few email from customers saying that a certain cable company is claiming that the caps in the cable are "not needed" and that their cable is Awesome!!! with a imod, and this and that.

Please folks, these people are mis-informed.

Q: Why is it required that I use the ALO Audio iMod dock cable (or ALO Audio iMod dock unit such as the Vcap dock) with my 5G/5.5G iMod?

A: Unlike the 4G iMod, it is impossible to cleanly fit the upgraded Black Gate NX-Hi-Q signal capacitors inside of the 5G/5.5G iMod. These capacitors are required to block the dc offset voltage that is outputted from the dac chip that we wire directly to with the iMod. The ALO Audio iMOd dock cable fits these capacitors inside the dock plug of the cable. If you do not have these dc blocking capacitors in the signal path, your amplifier will be amplifying dc offset voltage, and you run the risk of damaging the dac in your iMod, your amplifier, and your headphones or speakers! Even if you are lucky and this does not damage your equipment, the music will not sound good because your headphone or speaker drivers will always be pushed in one direction due to the dc offset voltage. This also heats the voicecoil of the driver and makes your amplifier work harder.

Thank you

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back