Image S4 Review
Sep 22, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #61 of 70
A little discovery I made yesterday. I hooked up the S4s to an Amp3, a new DAP/Amp from a company called Hisoundaudio (there are 2 threads on it in the Portable Source Gear forum), and now that both the Amp3 and the S4s are burned in, I am blown away by the synergy. Amazing sound. Not saying anyone should buy the Amp3 (a new model is coming out soon, so the original is unavailable right now), but for the combined price of under $250, you get excellent IEMs, a very good amp (the Amp3 can be used to amp other players) and a 4GB player with a micro SDHC slot (8GB max). It's a funky player, as you will see from reading about it, but wow, nice combo. Just in case you are shopping.

Most of all, the synergy between the two is awesome. Both need burn in, as noted. The Amp3 gets better and better after 150 hours, until it hits around 600+ when it really shines.

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #63 of 70
Well, if you get one now, it will be ready for prime time listening by late October taking burn-in into account, LOL. Did you see HPA's review? 600+ hours! All I can say is I love this little thing, but it also can be frustrating, given its form factor. SQ-wise, it is what it is. I know so far only one person (check the thread) has criticized it. Otherwise, there isn't another owner who says they are disappointed or let down with the SQ with proper burn-in and the right phones (it does hiss with some). If there is anyone else complaining, I mean among those who actually own it, I haven't seen that person post yet. It's sure to happen, but it won't change my mind.

Anyway, it does mesh well with the S4s, the Grados, the Ksc35s.

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #64 of 70
Well i can take into consideration the size of it as you don't need to carry around an amp, as it has a class-A Amplifier built in. So that's good

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #65 of 70
And the new model, the Pro2, is more rounded, new control button. Plus, there is the upcoming Studio I and II process. The Studio is a portable Class A amp with 8GB onboard and a card slot. Supposed to be out soon, but at $349, much more than the Amp3. Feedback from some selected HFers and other members will create the second iteration, the Studio II. Ought to be interesting. A high-end amp semi-designed by HF members.

Anyway, the S4 is a nice combo phone with the Amp3. Moved over to the UM3X right now (Diana Krall Live in Paris), but a little more hiss than I want to hear. SQ is excellent, but I can hear the hiss on quiet passages. Back to the S4.

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #66 of 70
Sounds very interesting, can't wait to here what the "Master" sounds like
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #68 of 70
Oct 31, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #70 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would you say the klipsh are better than westone um3x, um3, triplefie 10, or how bout thejvc woody's???????

Definitely not. It's definitely not better than the Um3X, Westone 3, Triple Fi 10. NOt sure about the Victor FX500 as i haven't listened to them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back