I'm ordering the Desktop Balanced, but...
Mar 20, 2008 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

illkemist

100+ Head-Fier
...how do I incorporate this product into a larger system?

I'd like to have an output (balanced or unbalanced) to use with an integrated amp and speakers, but it seems like that is only featured on the single-ended desktop amps.

If I run a line out from an integrated into the HR Balanced, I lose the benefit of the DAC in the HR amp (thereby, losing the fully discrete operation). And if I use the DAC in the HR amp, I lose the ability to output the signal.

Seems like the only other option is spending twice as much for the Balanced Home Amp, which is not an option at all.

Maybe I should be looking into a DAC with balanced outputs (e.g. DAC1).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 11
The only option I've got for you is to use the front panel connections to go to your amp. So you'd have to unplug the headphones and then plug in your connections to your power amp. Technically it would work just fine---quite good, in fact, but there is the inconvenience of the cable swapping.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only option I've got for you is to use the front panel connections to go to your amp. So you'd have to unplug the headphones and then plug in your connections to your power amp. Technically it would work just fine---quite good, in fact, but there is the inconvenience of the cable swapping.

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to find a one-box solution in preparation for a move overseas. I'll have to mull over my options.

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response. I'm trying to find a one-box solution in preparation for a move overseas. I'll have to mull over my options.

I'll be curious to hear what you decide on. That lack of output in the back was one of the things that dissuaded me from purchasing the Balanced Desktop instead of the Ultra Micro Amp.

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by schaqfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be curious to hear what you decide on. That lack of output in the back was one of the things that dissuaded me from purchasing the Balanced Desktop instead of the Ultra Micro Amp.

I'm going to order the Apogee Mini-DAC for now. I'll get my feet wet, but still have the option of outputting to an amplifier via the 1/8th line-out. I guess at some point in the future, I can purchase the HR Balanced Desktop without the DAC, thus eliminating the need for the DPS as well.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

I'm going to order the Apogee Mini-DAC for now. I'll get my feet wet, but still have the option of outputting to an amplifier via the 1/8th line-out. I guess at some point in the future, I can purchase the HR Balanced Desktop without the DAC, thus eliminating the need for the DPS as well.

I didn't want to suggest another product, because we're under HeadRoom's roof here... but if that's the route you're going, I'd suggest you consider the DAC1-USB again. I know the Apogee is very well regarded, but the DAC1 holds its own against $20,000 DACs with some impressive unique technology, and, particular to your needs, it has excellent balanced and unbalanced outs, as well as (and this was the kicker for me) a top notch headphone amp integrated within. It's extremely appealing to me that I can keep the HeadRoom Desktop balanced amp as a goal to purchase when I can afford it and know that I'll be able to use my DAC1's balanced outputs to feed it when I do.

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

I didn't want to suggest another product, because we're under HeadRoom's roof here... but if that's the route you're going, I'd suggest you consider the DAC1-USB again. I know the Apogee is very well regarded, but the DAC1 holds its own against $20,000 DACs with some impressive unique technology, and, particular to your needs, it has excellent balanced and unbalanced outs, as well as (and this was the kicker for me) a top notch headphone amp integrated within. It's extremely appealing to me that I can keep the HeadRoom Desktop balanced amp as a goal to purchase when I can afford it and know that I'll be able to use my DAC1's balanced outputs to feed it when I do.

First and foremost, thanks for the suggestion. I have considered the DAC1 USB. But, I have determined that the Apogee is probably the best play for me right now. One of the things that I like about it (aside from the $300 less I'll be paying), is the ability to go under the hood and adjust the way that the outputs function, independent of each other. The DAC1 does allow you to switch between fixed and variable levels out of the outputs, but both the unbalanced and balanced outputs must be in the same state. However, with the Mini-DAC, I can do this individually. The Mini-DAC is slightly more flexible in this way.

Aside from that, It's really a toss-up. I may end up ordering the DAC1 at some point to compare to the Apogee. We'll see.

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

You just described the Apogee too, including the kicker. In my case, I'm still considering using the Apogee to Drive a Balanced Desktop too.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

First and foremost, thanks for the suggestion. I have considered the DAC1 USB. But, I have determined that the Apogee is probably the best play for me right now. One of the things that I like about it (aside from the $300 less I'll be paying), is the ability to go under the hood and adjust the way that the outputs function, independent of each other. The DAC1 does allow you to switch between fixed and variable levels out of the outputs, but both the unbalanced and balanced outputs must be in the same state. However, with the Mini-DAC, I can do this individually. The Mini-DAC is slightly more flexible in this way.

Aside from that, It's really a toss-up. I may end up ordering the DAC1 at some point to compare to the Apogee. We'll see.

Probably not on par with what you describe in the Apogee, but if you're talking about "under the hood" anyway, you can adjust the calibrated volume of the RCA and XLR outs independent of each other (i.e., make them louder and softer compared to each other) in 10dB increments by using the attenuation jumpers "under the hood". The XLR outs start louder, and can be made even louder than that or all the way down to considerably less than the RCAs. But sounds like you've got it all worked out. Good luck overseas!

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 11
And the Apogee has trim pots for the XLR to have different output level vs the unbalanced.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back