I'm looking for an all around great pair of headphones.
Dec 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Costcosaurus

New Head-Fier
I have been an owner of a pair of HD 555s for over 5 years, and I am looking for an upgrade.

I use my headphones for both gaming and music. What I want from the gaming aspect of it is a fantastic sound stage that sounds like surround sound (ex. Razer Tiamat). I want to be able to hear everything in games from all angles to pinpoint where they are coming from.

For music, my favorite genre is electronic. I would like something with all-around great bass, mids, highs, trebles, etc. (basically everything great)

If possible, if I can get by without using a sound card, then that would be awesome. I bought a FiiO E07 DAC/amp to drive my HD 555 and while the sound is noticeably better at higher volumes, it doesn't satisfy my needs for fantastic sounding music.

I would prefer my budget pretty low, but if I have to spend upwards of $300, then so be it.

Hit me up with recommendations!

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 9
  I join this site and I don't get any replies for something I want help in.

Yet.
There isn't a office full of monkeys sitting at computers waiting for new posts like a customer support call center 
wink.gif
 nobody gets paid to do this.

HD555 is already a really very good headphone which should already destroy the Razer Tiamat (for example) for music.

These are incremental upgrades.. maybe 5-10% better than the HD555.
• Senn HD598
• Beyerdynamic DT990

I use a vintage DT990 for gaming and music (prefer vintage over the modern ones because the treble is softer)
But essentially I think it's one of the best all round headphones around.
Your FiiO amp is plenty to drive most headphones.

I bought a FiiO E07 DAC/amp to drive my HD 555 and while the sound is noticeably better at higher volumes, it doesn't satisfy my needs for fantastic sounding music.

This is a known psychological effect - human beings think stuff sounds better at loud volumes.
This is why demo sets in shops are always REALLY loud, why CD's got louder and louder over the years (google: loudness war)
This is not a symptom of your headphone or amplifier, only a psychological effect.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 9
Speak for yourself, I get a banana and a cigarette every time I answer a question...

The reality is that there are literally dozens of threads all over head-fi asking for recommendations for gaming & bass-heavy headphones. We probably get at least 5-10 a day in this forum.

It's actually not an easy question. Soundstage is better from open headphones like the AKG K701, Sennheiser HD598 & Audio-Technica AD900X. However, bass is better from closed headphones like the Vmoda M100, Beyerdynamic DT770 & Audio-Technica WS99. When you add-in that you also want them to not need an amp, and the requirements get even harder.

I'm not a gamer, so I really can't speak to that part of the question. I suspect you would be fairly happy with either the Vmoda M100 or the A-T WS99.

Ook! Ook!

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 9
I'd say Fidelio X1

edit: corrected word

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 9
Dec 20, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 9
  You mean the one where you can't change the earpads if they start to deteriorate?

Yes. I'm kind of a basshead and love electronic music, I bought X2 but was kind of disappointed. The bass is good, but is too balanced to be "fun" with bassy music. It's a matter of personal taste, but I wish I tried the X1 first, that is the most bassy open pair of headphone, without the piercing highs that someone finds on the 990. Yeah the fixed earpads suck though.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 9

You mean the one where you can't change the earpads if they start to deteriorate?

Yes. I'm kind of a basshead and love electronic music, I bought X2 but was kind of disappointed. The bass is good, but is too balanced to be "fun" with bassy music. It's a matter of personal taste, but I wish I tried the X1 first, that is the most bassy open pair of headphone, without the piercing highs that someone finds on the 990. Yeah the fixed earpads suck though.

Hmm.
I can't morally justify recommending anything that is potentially a time-bomb.
But I can appreciate that if it's something you love, money is no object.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 9
  Hmm.
I can't morally justify recommending anything that is potentially a time-bomb.
But I can appreciate that if it's something you love, money is no object.

Yes, I think that is one of the reasons that made me buy the X2 in the first place (and return them later because the sound). Philips should really make an X2B, an X2 with added bass just like the X1, for the bassheads 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back