I'm confused, looking for advice: choosing one of the top of the line IEMs
Dec 25, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are focusing WAY too hard on flaws. Id look into a better source vs a new set of phones. Your listening is only as good as your source.

Also look at the X5s in if a new source is not an option or customs like FreQ trip drivers.

As for durability in an iem thats gonna be a tough spot, I don't go spalunking with my x10s but they do hold up to a head-fiers daily use.

pink

Yes, I am focusing hard on flaws. It makes decisions easier
biggrin.gif

I will get a better source, after I have got a IEM. A SA6 would probably be better than my CX300, when using my Creative Zen v Plus. I suppose getting a iAudio D2 would not improve my CX300's more than getting a SA6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you have to be very careful in trying to categorise sound signatures based off of forum postings

And whilst the advice of try before you buy is sensible, truth is it is nigh on impossible to do so if you do not live in Tokyo or NY. But it is all part of the journey

Equaliser = distortion is my book. Muddy is relative. I haven't used my UM2 since buying the ESW9 but I have posted elsewhere already on the matter. I sold my E4G (black E4C) and kept the UM2 as I wanted that punchier bass. And they have an incredibly fun sound that is easy to enjoy if you are new to IEM

Yes, but I was trying to describe sound signatures of IEM, which most ppl will agree with. Every ear hears different, so not everyone will agree. It gives me a thought of how it could sound. Correcting some parts in my first post would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed, trying IEMs would be the best option, but here in Belgium, I don't really think it's possible. So I try to decide by reading what other ppl post.

I'm not really new to IEM, I just don't want to upgrade many times. So I thought: Why don't I just pick one of the top-IEMs?
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser IE8s do have isolation. Just like any other IEM, you just need to find the right tip. And you do get quite a few in the box.

Yes, they have good isolation, but compared to other IEM with their tips, I think it would be easier to achieve a better isolation. I don't think I'll get the IE8, it's not as bright as an ER4P or SA6, I assume it's a bit dark sounding. The bass is not as important as the treble, midrange for me. But I'd get them if I had to decide to get a IE8 or W3, because it's much cheaper here, in Europe
biggrin.gif

I'll probably end up with the ER4P. Now I have to look for a online shop in Europe which sells them. PJBox sells them for 134.50 pounds, which is the cheapest I could find.

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTrun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they have good isolation, but compared to other IEM with their tips, I think it would be easier to achieve a better isolation. I don't think I'll get the IE8, it's not as bright as an ER4P or SA6, I assume it's a bit dark sounding. The bass is not as important as the treble, midrange for me. But I'd get them if I had to decide to get a IE8 or W3, because it's much cheaper here, in Europe
biggrin.gif

I'll probably end up with the ER4P. Now I have to look for a online shop in Europe which sells them. PJBox sells them for 134.50 pounds, which is the cheapest I could find.

Yes, I have to agree with you. They do not isolate as well as other earphones, such as the SE530. I'm sure you will enjoy the ER4P.
smile.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #19 of 25
you have such a diverse selection. I would get the westone 3's. People like the ety's, but they like them for a few months, and then still feel like its missing some sq. I have the klipsch custom 3, which I listen to a classical to hiphop, and it suits me very well, "Turns out you haven't heard everything. " only problem is cable noise, which you won't receive with Westone 3.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I have to agree with you. They do not isolate as well as other earphones, such as the SE530. I'm sure you will enjoy the ER4P.
smile.gif

Thank you! At the moment, I'm trying to convince my parents to get the ER4P
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have such a diverse selection. I would get the westone 3's. People like the ety's, but they like them for a few months, and then still feel like its missing some sq. I have the klipsch custom 3, which I listen to a classical to hiphop, and it suits me very well, "Turns out you haven't heard everything. " only problem is cable noise, which you won't receive with Westone 3.

There are still many ppl who like the ety's.
The W3's midrange is laid back (,a bit recessed/veiled compared to other IEM). The ER4P has a more forward, aggressive mid and also has more treble, which I prefer. Treble and midrange are more important than bass to me, while tight, controlled bass is more important than bass impact. ER4P probably sounds cold, thin, but I'll get rid of that later, when getting an APureSound-ER4 cable. (Maybe an amp too. If I'm able to afford one. In a few years. Head-Fi is going to hurt my wallet
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTrun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The W3's midrange is laid back (,a bit recessed/veiled compared to other IEM).

I can't compare my W3's to triple.fi's, ER4P/S, IE8's, or SE530, but I can compare it to the es7 and a few of my other former iems/headphones. If you enjoyed the forwardness of the es7, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the W3's because in my experience, the bright highs and big bass of my es7 actually overpowered the mids. I see you keep going on about how you've read the mids of the W3's are recessed and veiled but in my experience that is not the case at all. I'm sure there are a few posters out there that feel that way, but I believe this issue could be completely source dependent. With my setups, (lyrix/icon mobile/fuze -> W3) I have no issue with the mids of my W3 at all. It seems that the very present (some would even say lush) midrange is a strength of the W3 according to the majority of the reviews I've read in both the major W3 threads.Of course not every reviewer of the W3 enjoyed them, the main complaints I saw were sibilance issues, fit, mid-bass hump, but overall I've followed the 2 threads since they were first started and I have not seen very many complaints of recessed and/or veiled mids with the W3. I know this could be coming off as defensive or fanboyish of the W3, but I genuinely feel you aren't giving them a fair chance based off of a select few reviews that express opinions that seem to be in the minority of opinions of the many westone 3 owners.

On a sidenote: if it were me in your situation, I'd probably be leaning towards the westone 3 or triple.fi. Hope you find the right iem for you and enjoy!
beerchug.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't compare my W3's to triple.fi's, ER4P/S, IE8's, or SE530, but I can compare it to the es7 and a few of my other former iems/headphones. If you enjoyed the forwardness of the es7, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the W3's because in my experience, the bright highs and big bass of my es7 actually overpowered the mids. I see you keep going on about how you've read the mids of the W3's are recessed and veiled but in my experience that is not the case at all. I'm sure there are a few posters out there that feel that way, but I believe this issue could be completely source dependent. With my setups, (lyrix/icon mobile/fuze -> W3) I have no issue with the mids of my W3 at all. It seems that the very present (some would even say lush) midrange is a strength of the W3 according to the majority of the reviews I've read in both the major W3 threads.Of course not every reviewer of the W3 enjoyed them, the main complaints I saw were sibilance issues, fit, mid-bass hump, but overall I've followed the 2 threads since they were first started and I have not seen very many complaints of recessed and/or veiled mids with the W3. I know this could be coming off as defensive or fanboyish of the W3, but I genuinely feel you aren't giving them a fair chance based off of a select few reviews that express opinions that seem to be in the minority of opinions of the many westone 3 owners.

On a sidenote: if it were me in your situation, I'd probably be leaning towards the westone 3 or triple.fi. Hope you find the right iem for you and enjoy!
beerchug.gif

Thank you, I also hope I'll find the IEM for me
biggrin.gif
. I've also read and followed the big W3-threads when they first started.
I do find the midrange of my ES7 to be recessed. I'd probably prefer the aggressive, forward mids of the ER4 to the W3. But the mids aren't the only problem. Detail, treble is for me also very important. I've read the W3 is very decent, but compared to the ER4, it doesn't have as much treble, although they have enough detail. The price is also high here, in Europe. I could easily get an APS-ER4P with that amount of money (which I'm planning to do). I did try to give W3 a fair chance, I really got into the hype
icon10.gif
. So I was going to get the ER4P or the W3. But after having read many reviews (the W3 review of Antonyfirst, compared with the APS-ER4P, was the one which made me choose for the ER4P), I started to realize they weren't the IEM I was looking for. So I'm now trying to convince my parents to get an ER4P
biggrin.gif

Don't worry, it didn't come off fanboyish to me
icon10.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #23 of 25
Hmm after comparing your musical tastes with the review of antony, it really does seem that the recabled ER4P is right for you. I'm glad you found the right earphone for you.
beerchug.gif
I wish I could of gone your route and purchase the most fitting iem for me from the get-go haha. But I suppose I just took the wallet-unfriendly journey of many head-fiers haha
L3000.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm after comparing your musical tastes with the review of antony, it really does seem that the recabled ER4P is right for you. I'm glad you found the right earphone for you.
beerchug.gif
I wish I could of gone your route and purchase the most fitting iem for me from the get-go haha. But I suppose I just took the wallet-unfriendly journey of many head-fiers haha
L3000.gif

But you enjoyed the journey still, don't act like you didnt. What I really want to happen though, is have a klipsch custom come out to compete with westone 3, because if you listen to Um2 and custom 3 , the 3 takes it easily, I can just imagine how well a triple armature would be made by klipsch, but pretty jealous of the westone 3 right now, probably one of the best on the market.

Side Note: Don't miss out on holiday bash tonite, at nassau colliseum.

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you enjoyed the journey still, don't act like you didnt. What I really want to happen though, is have a klipsch custom come out to compete with westone 3, because if you listen to Um2 and custom 3 , the 3 takes it easily, I can just imagine how well a triple armature would be made by klipsch, but pretty jealous of the westone 3 right now, probably one of the best on the market.

Side Note: Don't miss out on holiday bash tonite, at nassau colliseum.

lol yeah I did enjoy the journey. But it appears to be winding down for me. Most of my equipment has been sold off and I'm now left with just the W3, pk3, and icon mobile and lyrix amp/dac. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a pair of d2000 and eventually recable them to end my head-fi journey...or at least satisfy me enough so I can run far far away for awhile before head-fi catches back up with me
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back