ihan - iota
Mar 11, 2002 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

noguilt

100+ Head-Fier
i probably buy 100-200 cd's a year, of all sorts (i have very eclectic taste) and i have to tell you that my favorite album in a very long time is iota by a group called ihan (mille plateaux 81). it is electronica, and definitely "out there," but highly engaging. anyone with the least interest in experimental music should love it. it is fabulous on headphones.

here are excerpts from a description that appears to be machine translated, from http://www.atlantisrecords.com/new-september00.html :

Ihan is an electronic duo of two design students from Toulouse, France. Started from an instrumental background, today they explore the abstract 'plates-formes' of sound. Their first album ever fits perfect in the electronic imperium of Mille Plateaux. Like SND or Bretschneider, Ihan works with all the new soundfiles and glitches of digital music, but use it in a very special humoresque but also cool way....Flows of intensity, fluids, continuums and conjunctions of affects, fine segmentation, microperceptions are charecteristics of Ihan's music.

from Wire (3/00, p.62) - "...Inventive music....in which the surface of air itself seems to become damaged..."

Mar 11, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 7
Thanks, it's on my wish list!

Did you get the three two-somes called "Threesome 1, 2, and 3" on Hushush? Did you like Magnetophone's album? Just looking for reference points...

Mar 11, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 7
don't know that music, but i'll check it out. Ihan is kinda like Taylor Deupree, but with more rhythm and more of something resembling melody. I like being in the presence of deupree's music, but ihan makes music for actual listening.

on the domino compilation that came with the current issue of Wire, there were excellent tracks by Styrofoam, Anton Price, Fridge, and Rudy Trouve, so i've put cd's by those artists on my want list (except Rudy Trouve--haven't found any).

do make say think is also on that compilation, but i can't decide whether i like them or not; if you've heard them, another opinion is welcome.

Mar 12, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 7
I love Do Make Say Think -- they are my favourite of the Godspeed You Black Emperor! side projects. I liken them thusly: if GYBE! is a smorgasborg (?sp), with a lot of different tastes constantly being thrown at you, then DMST is a well-cooked stew -- more consistent in taste, but still incorporating many of the same elements.

Highly recommended.

I am not sure I understand what you say about Taylor Dupree -- I've actually gotten kind of tired of Mille Plateaux lately (Terre Thaemlitz -- blech), so I haven't been keeping up. But I am totally into the Rip-Off Artist and things like Rather Interesting...(Atom(tm)/Uwe Schmidt), so I'm not completely lost.

I will see if I can find a copy of that Wire magazine -- I think it doesn't come with the CD over here.
mad.gif

Mar 12, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 7
i didn't know DMST were part of Godspeed you black emperor!, although i should have guessed, with an album title like Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead. thanks for mentioniing that, which will lift them up on my want list.

btw, i can recommend another cd by another GYBE offshoot, A Silver Mt. Zion, called "He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts of Light Sometimes GRace the Corner of Our Rooms" [sic]

Taylor Deupree is quite likable (by me, anyway), but with more silence and less forward momentum than ihan. He's part of the microscopic music movement, if i'm remembering the terminology. As i said, i like to be in the presence of his music.

haven't heard Terre Thaemlitz, but thanks for the tip--i'll avoid him/her.

the only Uwe Schmidt i've heard is Geez 'n' Gosh: My Life with Jesus, which i've just started listening to, and like so far.

where is "over here"? maybe the cd's are only included with subscriptions.

Mar 12, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by noguilt
i didn't know DMST were part of Godspeed you black emperor!, although i should have guessed, with an album title like Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead. thanks for mentioniing that, which will lift them up on my want list.

You may try getting them direct from Constellation Records, here . I believe they end up being cheaper, but those may be Canadian dollars. Quote:

btw, i can recommend another cd by another GYBE offshoot, A Silver Mt. Zion, called "He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts of Light Sometimes GRace the Corner of Our Rooms" [sic]

Yup, got both of theirs, they're another one of my favourite GYBE! offshoots. Hanged Up would be a third -- viola and drums. A bit different than the others. Quote:

the only Uwe Schmidt i've heard is Geez 'n' Gosh: My Life with Jesus, which i've just started listening to, and like so far.

I am a huge fan of Uwe Schmidt, I've been following him since his early days as Lassigue Bendthaus. Quote:

where is "over here"? maybe the cd's are only included with subscriptions.

Probably the latter. I meant the US, but I see now that you are in the US also. I've never seen Wire come with a CD in the store, perhaps I need to subscribe. Does each issue come with a CD?

Mar 12, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I've never seen Wire come with a CD in the store, perhaps I need to subscribe. Does each issue come with a CD? [/B]

i can't recall whether EVERY issue does, but most do. You also save a bundle over the newsstand price, and it may not be too late to get on the "old" sub price; recently they announced increases both for newsstand and subs, with the latter slightly delayed.

"hanged up" sounds terrific; i love viola (and have most kashkashian cd's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back