iGrado
Oct 19, 2006 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tonym

100+ Head-Fier
Just received my new iGrados yesterday. Well packaged and at a great price, what more could one want?
Thanks Todd for the excellent service.
Tony

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 10
What do you think of the sound, though?

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 10
First impressions are good (even though we're only talking 20minutes as of now), not sure if they live up to the SR60 or 80 that I used on the iPod occasionally but in the interim I've been using Ety ER6i's. Still not sure if I'm an IEM person though and wearing these iGrados tonight (with specs) suggests that I like my headphones on my ears rather than 'in' my ears. Tell you what though, they don't leak much sound.

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
What do you think of the sound, though?

Hey Bill-

I like the sound of the iGrado. They are fun and a huge improvement from ear buds or crappy streetstyle headphones. There's a good amount of bass and they sound good right out of an iPod. I also like to not wear IEMs sometimes and these are replacing my HF-1s as my in-hotel travel cans. I haven't done critical enough listening to give more details on the sound.

Later, Al

Oct 19, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 10
Hey Al - Yeah, I was asking because they're not really my cup of tea. My KSC75's best them easily, musicality-wise, and my UE Metro.fi 2's are just more fun for on-the-go listening.

That said, I did run them through the Hornet... maybe a direct from the Pod test is in order... I'll let you know if that changes my mind.

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 10
Got a Pair also.

THe sound is well.... I mean I have Ety ER-4s and a HF-1. SO this is more of a work-out headphone; not meant for audio quality for me atleast. But sounds pretty good. I mean never done a full comparison, most time I'm wearing it I'm to busy listening to my heart beat.

But I can tell you they are very good for running. Fit snuggly on the ear. Don't move when youre moving. Perfect length for the cord. Only problem is how the wires attach. A bit annoying, like its either intruding next to your jaw or its awkwardly placed behind my neck.

Good buy though if you like streetstyles like me for working out.

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 10
I second the opinions of Voltron and Chef Medeski. Had iGrados for a few days. They sound good (better than KSC75 and PX100, IMO) and fit good. I've opened them up just a bit with a dime pad mod. They stay put while moving around, i.e. gym, without pinching or clamping. My HF-1's rarely leave the house and I really like my SR60s but the iGrados have me favorably impressed.

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 10
I tired a pair this weekend right out of an ipod. I did not get a good impression. They're boomy, with a large midrange suck-out, and no definition in the highs. They're also really tight on the head as they don't stretch very well. Sorry, I think Grado really missed it all around on this one.

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 10
I did a bit of comparing of the stock iGrado and a modified pair I bought from Fureshi (quarter-cut pads and new Mogami cable). The stock still sounds pretty good to me for ~$50 headphone. They are a pleasant listen, and especially when amped with the SR-71 had pretty even response--I do not notice an absence of mid-range, for example.

The modded pair certainly has more going for it, and cutting out a quarter-sized hole in the center of the very thick pads makes up a chunk of the difference. The cable requires more current, but I do think it also refines the sound. More sparkle in the highs for sure, and the bass seems to be more controlled. I have not tried putting full pads on the re-cabled pair to assess how much the holes account for the change.

FWIW, I have a relatively large head, and have not had any clamping or tightness issues. For me, Grado did a fine job a making a comfortable and fun alternative to IEMs or the largely crappy street-style options that preceded it. I gave the stock pair to my wife for running because I don't like her so isolated with the IEMs. She loves them and for the first time has found a non-IEM that stays put and produces a sound she likes. She couldn't stand either KSC-35 or KSC-75s, or a couple different bud types either.

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a bit of comparing of the stock iGrado and a modified pair I bought from Fureshi (quarter-cut pads and new Mogami cable). The stock still sounds pretty good to me for ~$50 headphone. They are a pleasant listen, and especially when amped with the SR-71 had pretty even response--I do not notice an absence of mid-range, for example.

The modded pair certainly has more going for it, and cutting out a quarter-sized hole in the center of the very thick pads makes up a chunk of the difference. The cable requires more current, but I do think it also refines the sound. More sparkle in the highs for sure, and the bass seems to be more controlled. I have not tried putting full pads on the re-cabled pair to assess how much the holes account for the change.

just curious, did you ever try the stock pads on the modded pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back