iFi Pro iCAN Signature versus A90d plus dedicated tube amp
Jan 17, 2023 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pouni

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently have a Musician Pegasus with a Topping A90 discrete and a Meze 109 Pro. Somehow it excites me a lot to have a tube amp in my setup as well. Here I find for example the Bottlehead Mainline or the Eufonika H22M+KPCU very interesting. I am now asking myself whether I should rather buy one of these dedicated tube amps in addition, or whether I should rather replace the Topping A90 discrete with an iFi Pro iCAN Signature, which has both types of amplification, so to speak. Do you have any opinions or recommendations? I've read a lot about the iFi Pro iCAN Signature containing a very good solid state amp (certainly at least comparable in quality to the A90d), but is also be. Tube amp comparable in quality to a dedicated tube amp? I would really appreciate your assessments and opinions!

Best regards

Bojan

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 4
The Pro iCAN Signature tube mode isn't a replacement for a dedicated tube amp. It adds some tube flavor, and if space is at a premium, then it's a fine option.

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 4
I own the original iFi Pro iCAN. It is a very nice amp to have around for its versatility and huge power output.

I normally use it in tube mode and find it very smooth, but not at all tubey.
I use it in conjuction with a Violectric V220. This is an SS amp that I find very soft and warm, in essence, tube-like.
I would think that you would find both bery different from the A90D.

With that amp you would likely want to go with a very tubey amp for contrast. I recently bought a Little Dot MK9 and really need to give it more time. I really wanted to try something very tubey.

Good luck with your hunt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back