If you love fm, you need a PAL!
Nov 13, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #16 of 21
I agree with Archosman that the Palstar is a great receiver, but geez...comparable or better dx on the am broadcast band can be had for FAR less! If you're interested in shorwave as well as mediumwave am (the "standard broadcast" band), then by all means consider the Palstar. But it is certainly no better at broadcast band dx, and perhaps a little worse, than the CC Radio Plus from C Crane (www.ccrane.com) which sels for 159.95!!!

Not only that, but the C Crane radio tunes the fm broadcast band IN STEREO (thorugh headphones), probably far more important for non-shorwave fans who are primarily program listeners (as opposed to radio hobbyists).

Everything the PAL is on fm (a DEFINITE "dx machine"), the CC Radio Plus is on am, and then some!

By the way, my PAL is going back! Not because of anything wrong with the radio. The rechargable battery simply won't hold a charge! I've "quick charged" it and "trickle charged" it according to Tivoli's instructions, and I get no more than a half-hour or so before the low-battery indicator light begins flashing. FAR short of the 16 hours claimed!

So my PAL is going back. I'll miss him a lot! But hopefully the replacement "PAL" and I will get along even better!

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Walker
By the way, my PAL is going back! Not because of anything wrong with the radio. The rechargable battery simply won't hold a charge! I've "quick charged" it and "trickle charged" it according to Tivoli's instructions, and I get no more than a half-hour or so before the low-battery indicator light begins flashing. FAR short of the 16 hours claimed!

I'm sure your replacement will be better, Mike. Ours gets charged about once a week, with a couple hours a day of use.

P.S. We got the "pearl white" one, but the brown is also very nice
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #19 of 21
I'm in an apartment and an antenna isn't an option, or I probably would try DXing. I'm pretty much stuck with WQXR but it's a good station, especially at night. I'm hearing (and learning about) a lot of classical music I might never have heard without an expensive hit and miss CD buying spree.

Nov 15, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #21 of 21
Originally posted by Mike Walker
I agree with Archosman that the Palstar is a great receiver, but geez...comparable or better dx on the am broadcast band can be had for FAR less! If you're interested in shorwave as well as mediumwave am (the "standard broadcast" band), then by all means consider the Palstar. But it is certainly no better at broadcast band dx, and perhaps a little worse, than the CC Radio Plus from C Crane (www.ccrane.com) which sels for 159.95!!!

BHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA.....a good one, my friend. You are real comedian :)

But seriously speaking, everyone should check out the following review before buying the CC.

http://www.nrcdxas.org/articles/CCRadioReport.html

I totally agree with this writer's assesment of the CC. My unit is the new "improved" model and I had the original one prior to that. Good for casual use but NOT a DX-machine at all. The Palstar is simply in different stratosphere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back