If money wasnt an object
Aug 10, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by podhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is one I am not familiar with but will research.

also can anyone tell me how I could have responded to all three of the above posts at once?
I know it can be done as I have seen it many times.
thx

The X is basically a very small gigabeat F. The F is not very well known on head-fi for a variety of reasons - it's unusually large and prone to case damage (though the guts are nigh invulnerable) and the original firmware is hokey and annoying to use.

But the sound quality is great, and with rockbox it becomes a big ugly highly useful great sounding DAP.

The X, is the same thing, in a smaller, better designed package. Very few of them were sold in the US. The only problem with it is that it has a + shaped touchpad just like the F. Toshiba got smart and put a tactile d-pad on the S, but the sound quality on the S isn't as good, and neither is the battery life.

Oh, you remember that kenwood keg DAP with the little f-holes in the internal frame? It's a gigabeat X with a few customizations and a plastic clamshell case.

Multi-quoting is performed by clicking the multi-quote button (with the quote marks) on each of the posts you wish to quote, and then clicking "post reply" at the bottom of the screen.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X is basically a very small gigabeat F. The F is not very well known on head-fi for a variety of reasons - it's unusually large and prone to case damage (though the guts are nigh invulnerable) and the original firmware is hokey and annoying to use.

But the sound quality is great, and with rockbox it becomes a big ugly highly useful great sounding DAP.

The X, is the same thing, in a smaller, better designed package. Very few of them were sold in the US. The only problem with it is that it has a + shaped touchpad just like the F. Toshiba got smart and put a tactile d-pad on the S, but the sound quality on the S isn't as good, and neither is the battery life.

Oh, you remember that kenwood keg DAP with the little f-holes in the internal frame? It's a gigabeat X with a few customizations and a plastic clamshell case.

Multi-quoting is performed by clicking the multi-quote button (with the quote marks) on each of the posts you wish to quote, and then clicking "post reply" at the bottom of the screen.

thank you..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If money is really no object, you can pay Sandisk to develop a 128GB SDHC card for you and if they refuse, you can try to take over the company....

You may as well pay a band instead
beyersmile.png

Ok, you got me...money IS an object.
I am just trying to get the best portable I can...

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

If I understand...the vcap dock is for home use.... correct?
I guess I would have to use an imod cable for the amp, on the go.

I do love the 240 Gig upgrade option!!!!
and from what I read the Imod sound is something...

no there is a portable VCAP dock as well, but it makes the rig larger, which is why I didnt recommend it, since because you are using the shadow you must be wanting compact?? besides if you were going that way there are better caps you can use than VCAP IMO.

if money were no object I would use the duelund silver foil VSF caps ($2000-2500 each) but yeah IMO even with the best caps (and I have duelund copper foil) wont make the ipod dac better than a portable transport feeding a higher quality dac eg. the iriver ihp1XX with D10 dac feeding the shadow would be nice. would still be reasonably compact too. Korg with shadow is fine too, the korg HD can also be upgraded along with the battery.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no there is a portable VCAP dock as well, but it makes the rig larger, which is why I didnt recommend it, since because you are using the shadow you must be wanting compact?? besides if you were going that way there are better caps you can use than VCAP IMO.

if money were no object I would use the duelund silver foil VSF caps ($2000-2500 each) but yeah IMO even with the best caps (and I have duelund copper foil) wont make the ipod dac better than a portable transport feeding a higher quality dac eg. the iriver ihp1XX with D10 dac feeding the shadow would be nice. would still be reasonably compact too. Korg with shadow is fine too, the korg HD can also be upgraded along with the battery.

I am wanting compact....but compact sonic bliss
bigsmile_face.gif

2000 to 2500 each!.....definitly out of my reach
frown.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #20 of 25
Quite sure I would get an DIYmod iPod nano.
Since portability is important to me, and I use iTunes as my music manager.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 25
money's no object but i'd rather spend it wisely than get ripped off by some 'premium' audiophile company who are marking stuff up like a fashion designer. i know this is an industry here but seriously. use that cash and go somewhere.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #22 of 25
If money was indeed no object I would probably own a Imod with one of Toshiba 240gb 1.8" SSD's inside, a shadow or pico slim amp along with a pair of some custom iems.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If money was indeed no object I would probably own a Imod with one of Toshiba 240gb 1.8" SSD's inside, a shadow or pico slim amp along with a pair of some custom iems.

It is going to take me a bit but I think this is exactly where I am going to end up....the JH13s are ordered and I will have to live with my zen and total airhead until I can get and Imod and shadow....
(Ray says the shadow is 30 to 40 days out any way) so that works out kind of good for me...

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
money's no object but i'd rather spend it wisely than get ripped off by some 'premium' audiophile company who are marking stuff up like a fashion designer. i know this is an industry here but seriously. use that cash and go somewhere.

If I understand you correctly here....you are thinking the Imod is a rip-off?
Why so?

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

If money was not a concern.....(dont I wish) and you had a new pair of JH-13s headed your way, and....you were going to use lossles files with a shodow amp.
What portable source would your use?

if money is not a concern, I will buy all those DAPs for using at difference purpose: :
wink_face.gif
wink_face.gif
wink_face.gif

1, Hifiman for it's good DAC and source. using it at home for the biger size.

2, Sony X1060 for it's completed funcitonts. using it for good video.

3, AMP3 for it's superior sound quality with 100 hours playing time battery. using it for trip and on the go, sports, just for music appreciation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back