IEMs for iPod around £50-60 (Shure E2C replacement)
Aug 29, 2008 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ram-

New Head-Fier
Nowthen, for the last few years I have been using a pair of Shure E2Cs. I am very happy with the sound they produce, their comfort and the great isolation they provide. I was so happy with them that even after my first pair broke rather quickly, I replaced them with another pair.

However, now my second pair are starting to show early signs of same the fault that killed the first -- the cable has started to work loose somewhere inside where it splits and the left channel is starting to cut out and will now get progressively worse until it ceases to work at all, no matter how much I wiggle it about -- this is apparently a common fault with the E2Cs.

Now I really like the E2Cs and I am prepared to have to buy a new pair every two years or so -- especially now they're only 45 quid -- but I'd like to know if anyone has any better alternatives!

They will be used almost exclusively for electronic music @ MP3 320kbps, usually with an iPod Classic, 2nd gen Nano or my laptop, so absolute quality is pretty academic (I'm no audiophile anyway). Comfort, tightness of fit and sound isolation are crucial as they'll mostly be used for the gym and when flying.

I'm looking for something easily available in the UK for around £50-60, although I could push it a bit higher if someone gives me a really good reason to.

Cheers!

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 5
I have a pair of Shure E4s - excellent condition. Think I've still got the box. Probably best you supply your own tips though! Make me an offer if you are interested (assuming that isn't breaking some head-fi rule) . I live in London incidentally

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 5
I have the Etymotics ER-6i and they provide excellent isolation, comfort and clarity, but they might not be suited to electronic music.

I've heard that the Goldring GX200 is very good and it also comes with Comply buds.

Otherwise Shure SE210s?

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zafonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Etymotics ER-6i and they provide excellent isolation, comfort and clarity, but they might not be suited to electronic music.

... nor to gymnastics, as they jut out quite a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back