IEMs and SACD
Sep 9, 2008 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ArturoGH

Head-Fier
Ive noticed a lot of you people have SACDs. Are they worth it for IEMs? Is there too much a difference from regular CDs? I have the Shure 530 (or rather they will be arriving one for these days) BTW. If it were worth it to have one, which is a good player? TIA!

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 3
I bought one of the first universal players available and had great hopes for these formats but I lost interest a couple years ago. The only advantage for me was to be able to listen to the 6 channel mixes. With my low-end B&W speakers I was never able to hear any improvements between the CD layer & SACD layer.

I was using my player (Pioneer DV45A) for my headphone rig and I heard better SQ using an external DAC using a digital output rather than letting the analog output from the Pioneer feed my headphone amp using the SACD layer. Of course the Pioneer is also low-end.

The quality of the original recording plays a large part of course but remixing can help I think. I have less than 50 SACD & DVD-A combined. I still enjoy cranking a good 6 channel disc now and then.

You will find many high quality SACD recordings of Classical music.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 3
Good for bragging rights...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back