IEMs ~$200 for Electronic & Folk/Acoustic recommendation
Jul 3, 2014 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

4 cm

New Head-Fier
Sadly, I've lost my Ortofon e-Q5s that I discovered on Head-Fi. On the bright side, I now have an excuse to shop for new IEMs!

I've been finding that my polarized musical taste means that I have to sacrifice one genre for the other, but maybe you can help me to find a pair that works well for both. Android-compatible buttons are a plus but not necessary.

So far I've narrowed the selection to:
- Fischer Audio DBA-02 ($200)
- Etymotics HF3 ($150)
- DUNU DN-1000 ($200)
- RHA MA750i ($130)
- VSONIC GR07 ($100)

I'm open to any other suggestions you might like to throw at me as well.

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks, I'll definitely check out the X10s if I get a chance.

Out of the ones listed, which ones would be best for the type of music I'm listening to?

Jul 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 14
The Ety HF5 won't have enough bass for electronic, at least for me it would feel almost bassless for that genre. The Dunu DN-K has quite a bit more bass, and I've enjoyed it with some music that's st least fairly electronic in nature, but it might not have enough bass for you.

As far as acoustic goes, both of those sound good, although I'd personally lean towards the Dunu.

I haven't gotten a chance to hear the other 3.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 14
  Sadly, I've lost my Ortofon e-Q5s that I discovered on Head-Fi. On the bright side, I now have an excuse to shop for new IEMs!

I've been finding that my polarized musical taste means that I have to sacrifice one genre for the other, but maybe you can help me to find a pair that works well for both. Android-compatible buttons are a plus but not necessary.

So far I've narrowed the selection to:
- Fischer Audio DBA-02 ($200)
- Etymotics HF3 ($150)
- DUNU DN-1000 ($200)
- RHA MA750i ($130)
- VSONIC GR07 ($100)

I'm open to any other suggestions you might like to throw at me as well.

Thanks!

If you do have a POWERFUL source and can EQ bass a bit - you could add Havi B3 Pro 1 ( Old Version ) to that list. They have their own thread on HF.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 14
The Ety HF5 won't have enough bass for electronic, at least for me it would feel almost bassless for that genre. The Dunu DN-K has quite a bit more bass, and I've enjoyed it with some music that's st least fairly electronic in nature, but it might not have enough bass for you.

As far as acoustic goes, both of those sound good, although I'd personally lean towards the Dunu.

I haven't gotten a chance to hear the other 3.
i don't think the gr07 would have enough bass

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 14
So I went to a local brick and mortar store and tried the MA750is today and I was really impressed. I tried the Fostex TE-05s too which I liked but I felt like the treble wasn't nearly as clear as the MA750is. Sadly, though, I ran into fit issues with the MA750is. The over-the-ear cable kept on interfering with my glasses and I couldn't get a proper seal in my right ear, it kept on feeling like it was going to fall out. So I might have to pass on the MA750is. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back