IEM under $150
Feb 27, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

I think that the genre of music that is going to be listened to is a pretty good determining factor in buying headphones. Some sound signatures mix well with certain genres but sound bad with others, in my opinion.

My position - good phones are good with everything. Inferior phones with unbalanced response might excel in one particular genre. What genre does not benefit from good details, does boomy, uncontrolled bass means phones are better suited for rock?
rolleyes.gif

How limited my music selection should be to have just one pair of IEMs?
Just get one, more or less neutral pair and let the music sound how it was intended to in recording studio, not doing equalization through phones' tipped frequency response.

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My position - good phones are good with everything. Inferior phones with unbalanced response might excel in one particular genre. What genre does not benefit from good details, does boomy, uncontrolled bass means phones are better suited for rock?
rolleyes.gif

How limited my music selection should be to have just one pair of IEMs?
Just get one, more or less neutral pair and let the music sound how it was intended to in recording studio, not doing equalization through phones' tipped frequency response.

Actually, asking a member what kind of genre they listen to does not necessarily mean that we are looking for a headphone to go solely with that genre. My main point in asking, as well as many other head-fiers here, is that we are trying to find out what kind of sound the OP likes. We can then use that information to offer advice on the already many different types of headphones out there that would excite the OP's ears because they fit his/her taste in music. Therefore, I don't think that asking the music genre is merely pasting a certain headphone to certain songs, but more matching up the sound that comes from certain headphones, to what the OP may find is "good sound" to his/her ears. A little unfair
rolleyes.gif
. If we say good headphones are good with everything, then our forum would be reduced to a list of headphones - with no distinctions between them.

Sorry for the off topicness.

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by exe163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies again,

I also heard great things about Crossroads mylar X3, but since Jaben pay by paypal, it's no longer an option for me unfortunately.

I will be using it during running, will shure, UE, and etymotic IEMs able to perform well on the move? Also it will be used mostly out door.

One side question, I heard nothing about super.fi 4, is it any good?

I don't believe the etys will be good for a run, as they have a great deal of microphonics. The shures or the UEs might be your best bet since they go over the ears to reduce cable noise.

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, asking a member what kind of genre they listen to does not necessarily mean that we are looking for a headphone to go solely with that genre. My main point in asking, as well as many other head-fiers here, is that we are trying to find out what kind of sound the OP likes. We can then use that information to offer advice on the already many different types of headphones out there that would excite the OP's ears because they fit his/her taste in music. Therefore, I don't think that asking the music genre is merely pasting a certain headphone to certain songs, but more matching up the sound that comes from certain headphones, to what the OP may find is "good sound" to his/her ears. A little unfair
rolleyes.gif
. If we say good headphones are good with everything, then our forum would be reduced to a list of headphones - with no distinctions between them.

Sorry for the off topicness.

Music genre and sound signature preferences are not exactly the same thing.
But I see your point. Back to the OP question.
Do you like more laid back, warm presentation; brighter, with better details type; heavy bass, or airier sound with good instruments separation? Something along these lines.

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shures or the UEs might be your best bet since they go over the ears to reduce cable noise.

So can Etys?

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #21 of 23
My list narrow down to these:
SE110 $80
SE210 $120
Super.fi 3 $65
ER6 $75
*decided to go with a cheaper path

I heard from other sites saying ER6 makes noises when ever the cord hit something, which is not ideal for running, in this case ER6 is out unless proven otherwise.

superfi3 is at a very attractive price, how does it perform compare to se110 and se210?

Will the improvement from se110 to 210 justify the $40 dollars difference in price?

Also I heard super.fi 3 doesn't fit well for a lot of people, will they fall off easily during run/job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back