IEM or headphones?
Nov 23, 2014 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fansc

Head-Fier
IEM: XBA-Z5 ($400) or XBA-H3 + E10K ($290)
Headphones: ATH-WS99 + E10K (about $270)

Of these options, which would have "better" sound quality? I listen mostly to electronic music, but frequently listen to hip hop too, with some rap, jazz and orchestral on the side.

I just recently tried the Sennheiser Momentum IEM and although others have said they produce really strong bass, I was quite disappointed. To be fair though, I may have been expecting too much out of $100 IEMs and its now on the way back to Amazon.

I'm looking for basshead levels. I want to be able to hear really deep bass clearly (sub-bass?) while being clean and "creamy" if that makes sense.

Both options have really good feedback and I was strongly leaning towards the XBA-Z5, but now I'm wondering if having the E10K paired with headphones may produce similar or possibly even better sound than just an IEM on its own at a lower price?

Poll votes and opinions are appreciated!

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 4
In general, most IEMs have trouble providing the very strong bass that most electronic and hip-hop fans desire. Sometimes this is just because bass in IEMs is greatly affected by how deep you seat the IEMs in your ears and on the ability for the tips you have chosen to maintain a tight seal. You can easily see this effect by pushing on the IEMs in your ears while the music is playing - the bass will probably increase.

Head-fi Bassheads hang-out here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 4
In general, most IEMs have trouble providing the very strong bass that most electronic and hip-hop fans desire. Sometimes this is just because bass in IEMs is greatly affected by how deep you seat the IEMs in your ears and on the ability for the tips you have chosen to maintain a tight seal. You can easily see this effect by pushing on the IEMs in your ears while the music is playing - the bass will probably increase.

Head-fi Bassheads hang-out here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii

Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back