IEM guidance
Dec 28, 2008 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mcclammer

New Head-Fier
Hello to the head-fi forums.

I am not entirely new to the world of hi-fi, but I wouldn't call myself knowledgeable in comparison. I read the basic guide, but would like to know about the nuances and distinguishing subtleties of different monitors and brands. I have lurked topics, but I really just don't have a good foot hold, so I figured I would break and post a topic.

I am in the market for some IEMs, and don't know the lay of the land for this area of sound.

The primary use would be with portable music devices, such as a zune, clip, ipod, etc. Currently, I have the original 512mb shuffle, as my 3rd gen ipod seems to be useless but not dead.

I would play these monitors unamped, and I don't know how fragile IEMs can get, but I would rather have mine be sturdy, you know, not like some delicate flower or anything.

My price range, I would prefer to keep in the 100usd area, but because I don't know a whole lot, I am flexible with a good arguement or reason.

My main headphones are the ATH-A500s(my nicer ones are DT880s but unfortunately my amp gets interference, different story), but in terms of sound, I don't mind analytical too much, but I love soundscapes and the visual picture I can get from a good sound scape. Too much separation of instruments kind of annoys me, because I like my music to be cohesive.

I can list what kind of music I listen to, but that would probably be a long response.

Any other questions I will gladly answer; hopefully I didn't flood you all with unnecessary information, but I like to get accurate results, and would rather learn what to buy than just be told, you know? I am always flexible when asking for advice on a purchase, I don't have any unbreakable dogma, any advice is welcome, with a reason though.

Thanks for any help, links, or guides!

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 2
I've got the ATH-A500s as well. I only use those for gaming though because of their soundstage. Listening to music with these is horrible, everything sounds thin.

I'm an old school IEM guy, so I tend to only stick to the proven brand names: Shure, UE, Westone, and Etymotic. The general sound signature each deliver is:

UE - soundstage
Shure - neutral
Westone - musical
ETY - treble

So if your other headphones are DT880 and you want something similar, Shure will probably fit your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back