[IEM] Dynamic vs Balanced Armature Bass
Feb 28, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #91 of 103
So what is that BA timbre ppl talk about or crinacle mentioned in his comment about the ER2SE/XE 'Slightly less detailed than the ER4, but without the usual BA timbre.'
Also ppl claiming that a single driver setup generqlly having a more cohesive sound compared to a multi BA setup (or any multi driver for that matter), as if a multi driver setup sounds like music was cut in pieces and glued together, that makes no sense to me, especially when thinking on all those Full Range speakekrs that use multiple differently sized drivers for differend FRs....

What album is that?

BA timbre is easiest to spot listening to human voice. Who loves vocal centric/acoustic music well implemented DD will serve better. Imaging relates more to transducer implementation, but you could stretch further with multi-driver setups. Even with timbre a bit off and bass sounding not as good as with DD I'm only using multi BA iem as it is technically better then the rest of what I have

May 29, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #92 of 103
That you'd do a comparison between the Ety number(measured at 100dB@1Khz on my certificate) and a measurement from @earfonia on a different rig with a reference of 104dB@500Hz(so we'll be near 109dB at 1kHz on the ER2XR I guess), is a testimony to how little you understand THD measurements despite bringing them up all the time. and it's not like I didn't try to explain stuff to you about THD in various threads to the point where I'm sick of it.

In the end you did manage to mention some planars as being similar to BAs for something, you misused THD, and you threw EQ numbers in the air with no SPL reference or objective reason. I'll give you that one thing, you're consistent.
Why are you still trolling here?, You & others complain about the ER3XR/ER4XR being 0.90 ~ 1.6% at 1KHz but the moment I point out that the ER2XR is 2% at 100db suddenly THD doesn't matter?. Keep ignoring that the ER4SR/ER3SE are lower THD wise than the XR ety IEM's or why people actually like BA bass than the overhyped DD tech so many fawn over.

Once again my profile pic sums you & few others on this sub forum. lol

May 29, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #94 of 103
IMO one issue with the ety sound is it comes out if a pin sized hole near the ear drum. The ear drum is not a flat diaphram microphone, it is a membrane with thousands of sensory hairs. I theorize that the small sound source with near proximity to the ear drum yields less than realistic sound, FR not withstanding.

May 30, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #95 of 103
The ear drum is not a flat diaphram microphone, it is a membrane with thousands of sensory hairs.
It is a little bit different. The sensory hairs are somewhere else further inside, in the cochlea. Just google for more details.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #96 of 103
You mean a cherry picked data that ignores the ER4SR & X12i are examples of Single BA IEM's being <0.4% at 1KHz, Since BA drivers need a very deep seal to perform well?.
Hello, I have been watching this thread and have attempted to find your main argument. But I have failed to eliminate all the chaff from the wheat. If it is possible, could I know what exactly are you arguing?

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #97 of 103
100dB is ear splitting loud. I wouldn’t recommend listening to music like that.

Distortion isn’t the main difference between modern transducers, response is.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #98 of 103
Hello, I have been watching this thread and have attempted to find your main argument. But I have failed to eliminate all the chaff from the wheat. If it is possible, could I know what exactly are you arguing?
The ER2XR was touted as <0.1 at 1KHz by Reddit/Here(mostly) but when one comes out being higher than the ER4XR's up to 1% at 1KHz suddenly I can't read THD charts. Then they went quiet after that was pointed out they couldn't hear 1.7% at 1KHz but bragged they could tell 0.7 ~ 1% on the ER4XR?.

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #99 of 103
Speakers sound much better than headphones and the best of them are around 1%. They can be as much as 4% and still sound good. It all depends, but in general, distortion isn't an issue, especially with headphones where the transducers are small and controllable.

When you're citing specs, the level matters. At what dB does it reach 1%? If it's over 85dB, you aren't likely to ever run into that spec in normal listening. Likewise, a higher than average distortion above 10kHz isn't likely to be a problem.

It helps to have a basic idea of what these numbers translate to in real world sound.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #100 of 103
Speakers sound much better than headphones and the best of them are around 1%. They can be as much as 4% and still sound good. It all depends, but in general, distortion isn't an issue, especially with headphones where the transducers are small and controllable.

When you're citing specs, the level matters. At what dB does it reach 1%? If it's over 85dB, you aren't likely to ever run into that spec in normal listening. Likewise, a higher than average distortion above 10kHz isn't likely to be a problem.

It helps to have a basic idea of what these numbers translate to in real world sound.
Gotta strongly agree. On an unrelated note, a lot of people prefer the ER2XR because it had more "natural" timbre than the ER4XR. What would you think would be the cause of that? I suspect it's in the frequency response.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #102 of 103
Nov 22, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #103 of 103
I think in general DDs sound more natural than BA. Its rare and I mean rare exceptions.
I was in Precogvision's IEM reviews/impressions forum, and I read somewhere there DDs sound more natural than BAs because of some peaks and dips in the FR common in DDs that are not present in BAs. This could be the cause of BA timbre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back