Ideal portable amp for T50RP 50th Anniversary edition?
Oct 12, 2023 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MakeshiftApe

100+ Head-Fier
So I recently got my hands on a T50RP 50th Anniversary edition. To my surprise after hearing how power hungry the T50RP could be, it actually gets plenty loud on my UMC1820 audio interface, and even to a decent enough volume on my iPad Air 3 - but sometimes I want to be able to listen from my phone, and I'd like something with lower output impedance since my audio interface is 16 ohm which is a bit on the high side for these 50 ohm headphones.

So I'd like to get my hands on a decent portable amp that'll be a good fit for the T50RP 50th. Bonus points if it'd make a half decent desktop amp too.

For reference the T50RP 50th Anni is 92dB/mW, 50 ohm, and rated for a maximum 3kW (though considering it's loud off my UMC1820 which can pull about 100-150mW or so IIRC, I'm guessing it doesn't need anything close to that maximal spec).

Any suggestions? I considered the Qudelix but I wondered about maybe going for something with more power so I'd have more headroom for if I play around with EQ at all. Around the Qudelix's price though is roughly what I'd like to pay at most.

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 4

Unfortunately here in Poland I can't really order from Drop due to disproportionate customs fees I'd have to pay. :triportsad: The second one is available but my budget is probably similar to around the Qudelix level ($100-125ish) and so that one's unfortunately over budget (over here it's $500 too).

Any thoughts as to whether the Qudelix itself would be enough? I'm not sure I understand the power ratings for it, whether "240mW per channel" for the balanced output means that the Qudelix provides 240mW.. or 480mW (i.e. if the usual spec is measured across both channels)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back