Ideal Condition Inside Computers: Internal Components Gathering Dust?
Jun 6, 2004 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lojay

1000+ Head-Fier
Is it harmful for the PCI cards or other PC components gather dust inside the machine? I'm afraid that my E-MU would soon get dusty just like my Geforce and PCI cards.....would it shorten the life of the card? Would it affect the performance of the soundcards like it affects the CPU?

So how do u guys deal with this?

And how would you condition your computer to increase performance and life?

Jun 6, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 5
I know some pretty old dusty as all get out computers that are still running along just fine... If you run negative airflow it should help with the dust though...

For long life, keep things as cool as possible and don't shut down...

Jun 6, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 5
So is your E-MU gathering dust? Or its too precious so you'd clean it every day? Hehe
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 5
My system is tipped towards negative airflow and its intakes are filtered keeping dust levels in my system relatively low. I do try to clean it out from time to time, but can essentially go for six months without any major dust build ups.

Jun 6, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 5
The more your heatsinks and fans get dust, the less efficient it gets to dissipate heat resulting to a hotter component. The hotter your component gets, the more it decreases the lifespan of your component.

Although I dont think this would be a problem with soundcards, if it really does decrease the lifespan to only 10 years, nobody would not be using it by then
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back