iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 17, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #1,456 of 3,626
I remember having problem with DX220 recognizing the 5ghz network from my Asus Router too, if i can remember i had changed the 5ghz Channel on Asus to get this fixed.

I just did a speedtest on DX220 with the 5ghz network, and its pretty low, 50Mbps and I have 1Gbps download. Interesting, never bothered before with this now im curious!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #1,457 of 3,626
I remember having problem with DX220 recognizing the 5ghz network from my Asus Router too, if i can remember i had changed the 5ghz Channel on Asus to get this fixed.

I just did a speedtest on DX220 with the 5ghz network, and its pretty low, 50Mbps and I have 1Gbps download. Interesting, never bothered before with this now im curious!

50Mbps is actually a very good rate. I have about 32 Mbps @ 5GHz.

You also most probably had do change our router settings so that your 5GHz control channel is less than 100 and/or disabled the DFS channels. Also looks like "Protected Management Frames" are not supported on iBasso platform. It could be due to the firmware of the WIFI module on the SoC (RK3368), or it could be due to a Linux kernel configuration thing (I will investigate this later), I don't know. But as you can also check in the link below, different regions/countries have different regulations, and in many cases it is possible to set a different region code for the module of your WIFI device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.0_GHz_(802.11j)_WLAN

So, I am basically, trying to find two things:

- Is the issue on the 5GHz network really due to the country code settings? If it is, is it possible to adjust it in a way that it works out of the box also here in the EU without having to change router settings, as there are many situation where you cannot access the router settings.

- Is the extremely low download rate @ 2.4GHz on my MAX specific to my unit, or are there other people also experiencing the same thing? If it is not specific to my using, can the reason be the same as above?

I am not trying to bash anything here, not looking for a new DAP or suggestions. These are very simple questions and are asked just to clarify my usage of this device, and I am sure would help others if a solution is found.

EDIT: When I am directly next to the router I see 20 Mbps @ 2.4GHz.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #1,458 of 3,626
I had to change the bandwidth of the 5ghz to Auto for DX220 to work.

My control channel is 100 since nobody uses that in our area, so its free. I think the SoC comes hardwired with the country region hence it cannot detect on its own and requires routers to be changed, this is a bit unwanted and hopefully there are better ways to change this.

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #1,459 of 3,626
50Mbps is actually a very good rate. I have about 32 Mbps @ 5GHz.

You also most probably had do change our router settings so that your 5GHz control channel is less than 100 and/or disabled the DFS channels. Also looks like "Protected Management Frames" are not supported on iBasso platform. It could be due to the firmware of the WIFI module on the SoC (RK3368), or it could be due to a Linux kernel configuration thing (I will investigate this later), I don't know. But as you can also check in the link below, different regions/countries have different regulations, and in many cases it is possible to set a different region code for the module of your WIFI device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.0_GHz_(802.11j)_WLAN

So, I am basically, trying to find two things:

- Is the issue on the 5GHz network really due to the country code settings? If it is, is it possible to adjust it in a way that it works out of the box also here in the EU without having to change router settings, as there are many situation where you cannot access the router settings.

- Is the extremely low download rate @ 2.4GHz on my MAX specific to my unit, or are there other people also experiencing the same thing? If it is not specific to my using, can the reason be the same as above?

I am not trying to bash anything here, not looking for a new DAP or suggestions. These are very simple questions and are asked just to clarify my usage of this device, and I am sure would help others if a solution is found.

EDIT: When I am directly next to the router I see 20 Mbps @ 2.4GHz.
I personally think you risen a very good and important topic. I have very strong positive experience using Qobuz studio premier subscription - so, connectivity for me is also important factor. Until my MAX will arrive I can't judge if your upper measurements limited to only your MAX or that valid for all..

Jun 17, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #1,461 of 3,626
Wednesday evening June 17th.

About 300 hours now on the iBasso DX220 Max.
I seem to have to jumped past the 250
time mark due to work etc.

Just listening to music now. It seems to have settled in.
A nice mix of Amp1mk2/ Amp 8 and Amp8EX with a bit of tuning.

It really is a premium player.

It has wifi and Bluetooth but i would think the best uses would be to use the onboard memory or a micro sd card and listen to it wired through headphones or earphones.
Or use its dac via line out to a home system.

There will be probably still be incremental improvements and nuances noticed over time.
But at this stage i am just listening to the sweet music that is coming from this device.

Its appears complete now. But i am not adverse to any new sonic surprises. But for now it sounds like a well tuned coherent whole.

It is well balanced between reference and dynamic. It sets itself at a nice balance between the various tuning extremes and somehow manages to unite the opposites seamlessly.

The soundstage of earphones is super wide with the right earphones, the vocals extra centered and then expanding out also - quite a feat. Treble is candy sweet and extends to aural infinity - but ever so smooth with it to.
Tonality is pure bliss.
Imaging is clear and precise. Timbre a late comer to the game is exquisite.
The bass is full and oh so satisfying.
The separation is emphasized due the large soundstage possible and is akin to being in a large hall.
Male and female vocals are equally served well - pure beauty manifested.

It really is a divine experience.

Overly waxing lyrical here - but as one who grew up on music magazines and newspapers with band interviews and gig reviews, struggled with cassettes and lovingly wiped each vinyl lp before playing and crafted mix tapes off the radio - i do review the gear but the music listening experience is always fore front in my mind.

The moment when the gear is so good that one stops listening to the gear - and just disappears falling into the music.

That is the moment, when the gear is no longer there as such, it being purely a vehicle for the enjoyment of the music.

When the music only remains one knows the gear is near perfection.

That is the DX220 Max.

I have a second guessing myself that i may have overwrought my thoughts too much.

but the listening pleasure is real.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,462 of 3,626
I personally think you risen a very good and important topic. I have very strong positive experience using Qobuz studio premier subscription - so, connectivity for me is also important factor. Until my MAX will arrive I can't judge if your upper measurements limited to only your MAX or that valid for all..

I am a Qobuz user, as well. I frankly didn't care much about the WIFI performance really, at the worst case I still have the M15, and/or I can download at home. I realised, with the MAX sounding such good, there might be also cases where I would want to take it out or during a trip, if I am carrying a large bag or I am traveling by car. And why not, you know? That is why I started questioning if it would be possible to get better performance out of the WIFI. I am not bashing a product here. I bought it with my own money, and if this is a forum for this product, I don't see why I should not ask if there is a way to make it work better. I am not asking if it is something for me or not, or if it is meant to be used that way or not, any dictating recommendation.

You would see people from this forum bashing other players in their respective forums, for things iBasso 'might' do better or has better specs on the paper, maybe even though they didn't buy that product. Here, they seem to be annoyed that I am digging into some feature that can improve the usability of the product for me.

Anyway...yesterday @Paul - iBasso wrote me only "5ghz is faster but doesn't have the range of 2.4Ghz. There is less interference and better speed when using 5Ghz.". This just tells the nature of the two networks, but nothing else. Not if there is a way to make it work without having to change the router settings, and not why I have a 15X better performance with 5GHz 3-4 meters away from the router. YouTube (the videos are only available via links) still shows that the video I sent him are not watched yet. I am really wondering what the outcome will be.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #1,464 of 3,626
If the 2.4GHz network performance is a solvable thing, I can also take the MAX with me out, for example when I am going on a business trip with a bag/backpack. As it is, here in EU, it is probable that even the 5GHz network may not work, as it might be that the 5GHz network is using a setting which MAX does not support, so a stable 2.4 network is the best bet. It is not about throwing the MAX away, but about trying to find more scenarios to use it.

Here's from our crapty 2.4 GHz wi-fi: laptop, smartphone, & MAX respectively,
Capture.PNG
103607079_275374870277836_1911129801348030244_n.png
103805013_658684568046645_2264047445156991117_n.jpg

There is not much speed difference for me 🤷‍♂️ with our internet speeds up here. I just download my songs and podcasts on Spotify and maybe Audible. Where do you guys get your audiobooks btw?

Also, is there USB-DAC yet?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #1,465 of 3,626
Here's from our ***ty 2.4 GHz wi-fi: laptop, smartphone, & MAX respectively,
There is not much speed difference for me 🤷‍♂️ with our internet speeds up here.

Thank you. These are such sad numbers. :frowning2:

USB-DAC works perfectly fine for me.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,468 of 3,626
Boy~ this thing takes real long time to shape up. I was somewhat disappointed in between but it starts to sound like what it supposes to after about 120 hours.
Yes, I have heard changes for quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back