iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #1,441 of 3,626
Found the post.

My pd charger only reaches 15v. Will using a lower rated output work, but at a slower pace? Maybe better for heat generation?

For topping off over night that is, not for constant never-ending usage.
I don't know the chip used. I asked iBasso so they may answer directly here or answer my email.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #1,442 of 3,626
Such an interesting group... It is OK to talk about the product from "day 1" that the developers could not match the level in more than a year of working what the hackers were able to see by listening to it a few days and identify the fix. And yet, they are the same people that believe in the wonders of burn-in. Then I bring up with a real issue I am experiencing, I am told that maybe this product is not for me.

No wonder it is a place where scammers like Fidelizer can find a customer base.
Are you the burnin Mythbuster? Lol

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #1,443 of 3,626
Such an interesting group... It is OK to talk about the product from "day 1" that the developers could not match the level in more than a year of working what the hackers were able to see by listening to it a few days and identify the fix. And yet, they are the same people that believe in the wonders of burn-in. Then I bring up with a real issue I am experiencing, I am told that maybe this product is not for me.

No wonder it is a place where scammers like Fidelizer can find a customer base.

Maybe your 2.4ghz network is flooded with traffic so it's slower. Have you done any more tests then your simple download speed comparison? Do you have other devices on the 2.4ghz bandwidth? Are you you testing near devices that cause interference. There's lots of reasons why you could be having issues. Why aren't you using the 5ghz anyways?

Having an attitude doesn't help, nor does calling others scammers. The reason why someone said it might not be for you is this is a common occurrence with these DAP's. Someone buys the latest greatest one and complains over what to most of us is a minor detail. Sound Quality is number 1, not WiFi speeds. If streaming is your main way of listening to music then maybe this isn't the device for you.

Maybe there is an issue with 2.4ghz, have you contacted Ibasso?

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #1,444 of 3,626
Maybe your 2.4ghz network is flooded with traffic so it's slower. Have you done any more tests then your simple download speed comparison? Do you have other devices on the 2.4ghz bandwidth? Are you you testing near devices that cause interference. There's lots of reasons why you could be having issues. Why aren't you using the 5ghz anyways?

Having an attitude doesn't help, nor does calling others scammers. The reason why someone said it might not be for you is this is a common occurrence with these DAP's. Someone buys the latest greatest one and complains over what to most of us is a minor detail. Sound Quality is number 1, not WiFi speeds. If streaming is your main way of listening to music then maybe this isn't the device for you.

Agree. That's why Sony don't use wifi on the top of the line daps. So it might not be for everyone either?

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #1,445 of 3,626
I am not sure if I am quoting you out of context but why do you say so?

^^ ok, I just read your comment about wifi above...

I am not asking for anyone's lecture about how I shall choose a product. WIFI is a feature of the product and I am seeing some unusual behavior and I am trying to find out if it is my unit only having this. If it is (I suspect it is not), then maybe my unit needs to be checked.

Agree. That's why Sony don't use wifi on the top of the line daps. So it might not be for everyone either?

In my post, there is (was, I removed, as I didn't want it to look like I am promoting another product here, but it is in the reply of twister) a video comparison of MAX and M15, both on. As you might well see there and in a previous post, I did both speed tests and download tests. And yes, I did contact iBasso, and yes I have other devices using both networks.

People, I am not asking your recommendation here and/or try to teach me how I should choose my product. I don't need you to tell me which network I should use. It is a f**g simple question: _Is this the normal behavior, or is it my unit?_

If it is the normal behavior, I am asking, could it be that the country code of the WIFI module is set incorrectly?

Why do the people need to be the wise-a** DAP professionals before they can be the normal users?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #1,446 of 3,626
It is putting out 20 volts.

Is this a safe thing to do? I’ve asked around and some people told me +1V should be okay but +2V is trying your luck: it may or may not work. Since it worked for you, great!

I’m actually eyeing a cable from Energiemax: the OTCA004 USB-C to DC Adapter which supposedly outputs 15 to 20V when given 20V via USB PD.

Your positive result actually gives me confidence to go ahead with this purchase, thanks!

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #1,447 of 3,626
I am not asking for anyone's lecture about how I shall choose a product. WIFI is a feature of the product and I am seeing some unusual behavior and I am trying to find out if it is my unit only having this. If it is (I suspect it is not), then maybe my unit needs to be checked.
In my post, there is (was, I removed, as I didn't want it to look like I am promoting another product here, but it is in the reply of twister) a video comparison of MAX and M15, both on. As you might well see there and in a previous post, I did both speed tests and download tests. And yes, I did contact iBasso, and yes I have other devices using both networks.

People, I am not asking your recommendation here and/or try to teach me how I should choose my product. I don't need you to tell me which network I should use. It is a f**g simple question: _Is this the normal behavior, or is it my unit?_

If it is the normal behavior, I am asking, could it be that the country code of the WIFI module is set incorrectly?

Why do the people need to be the wise-a** DAP professionals before they can be the normal users?

Drop the attitude and people might be more willing to help.
But since you don’t want to be lectured I’m done trying.
Enjoy whatever DAP you end up with.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #1,448 of 3,626
Drop the attitude and people might be more willing to help.
But since you don’t want to be lectured I’m done trying.
Enjoy whatever DAP you end up with.

What kind of an attitude did you see in my original question? In none of my WIFI posts there was an attitude. Simple questions and tests!

Or wait a minute, is it because I called a well respected businessman of the group elites a _scammer_ previously?

This is my last post before I was lectured. Do you see any bashing or attitude here?

"I made some measurements for the WIFI. As said, 2.4 GHz network is pretty unstable and slow. MAX was at 2.09 Mbps @ 2.4GHz and 32.1 Mbps @ 5GHz, meaning it is about 15X slower. This has nothing to do with the inherent bandwidth of the networks but is an apparent issue to clarify. Interestingly the upload speed is higher.

In comparison, M15 achieved 21 Mbps @ 2.4GHz and 125 Mbps @ 5GHz. I am not expecting the same performance, but just an explanation for the extremely low performance of MAX @ 2.4GHz. It is not about the noise but rather that I can download over a 2.4 network for offline listening. 5GHz network is seldomly available at hotels, mobile hotspots or offices."

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,449 of 3,626
What kind of an attitude did you see in my original question? In none of my WIFI posts there was an attitude. Simple questions and tests!

Or wait a minute, is it because I called a well respected businessman of the group elites a _scammer_ previously?

This is my last post before I was lectured. Do you see any bashing or attitude here?

"I made some measurements for the WIFI. As said, 2.4 GHz network is pretty unstable and slow. MAX was at 2.09 Mbps @ 2.4GHz and 32.1 Mbps @ 5GHz, meaning it is about 15X slower. This has nothing to do with the inherent bandwidth of the networks but is an apparent issue to clarify. Interestingly the upload speed is higher.

In comparison, M15 achieved 21 Mbps @ 2.4GHz and 125 Mbps @ 5GHz. I am not expecting the same performance, but just an explanation for the extremely low performance of MAX @ 2.4GHz. It is not about the noise but rather that I can download over a 2.4 network for offline listening. 5GHz network is seldomly available at hotels, mobile hotspots or offices."

I haven't received yet my MAX. But assuming it has the same SoC as DX220 and having DX220 in my hands with Speedtest I'm getting 21mbps DL and 30mbps UL on 2.4GHz and 35mbps DL and 131mbps UL on 5GHz. My iPhone gives me:

Attachments

• 39E5E3C1-825C-4978-B00F-78A0083820A2.png
    39E5E3C1-825C-4978-B00F-78A0083820A2.png
    415 KB · Views: 0
  • 62CAC201-52D0-43C3-8631-4F17986C0B41.png
    62CAC201-52D0-43C3-8631-4F17986C0B41.png
    398.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 17, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #1,450 of 3,626
I haven't received yet my MAX. But assuming it has the same SoC as DX220 and having DX220 in my hands with Speedtest I'm getting 21mbps DL and 30mbps UL on 2.4GHz and 35mbps DL and 131mbps UL on 5GHz. My iPhone gives me:

Thank you!

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #1,452 of 3,626
So, I hope MAX might have improvement.

Thanks again. Looks like the 5GHz network performance is similar to MAX. Of course, it could be that because there is too much interference from other networks, mine has a lower performance. Also MAX has a different packaging / shielding.

If the 2.4GHz network performance is a solvable thing, I can also take the MAX with me out, for example when I am going on a business trip with a bag/backpack. As it is, here in EU, it is probable that even the 5GHz network may not work, as it might be that the 5GHz network is using a setting which MAX does not support, so a stable 2.4 network is the best bet. It is not about throwing the MAX away, but about trying to find more scenarios to use it.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #1,455 of 3,626
A look through the other threads seems to recommender 5GHz over 2.5GHz for iBasso daps.

On his DX220, behemothkat said that he can see 21 Mbps, which is 10X what I see on MAX. MAX has also a different packaging / shielding so results might differ but that much? On DX2x0 2.4GHz causes interference noise (but I did not hear anything so far on MAX), so 5GHz is better choice for online streaming, but if you are just downloading it does not really matter.

There are apps for Android for changing the country code, like this one:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1982149

But they require root access. If iBasso does not do / say anything about it, Lurker's add-on ROM might help changing it.

EDIT: Also don't forget that 5GHz network did not work out of the box without changing the router settings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back