iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #1,996 of 3,626
No problems folks.

i always enjoy when someone contributes a cheery friendly comment on a forum.

i have about 8 (?) headphones here and have tested a good half of them (Including the iBasso SR1) - but have not written much up about them yet. I save those headphone listening times when i am home alone without family to attend to / or my wife is home - which is rare. Hence more time on IEMs whilst kids watch tv and i watch them.(or commuting in the summer humidity).

It is a great device for decent IEMs btw. (As @twister6 noted). As well as headphones or for feeding a home system etc

But i do understand it is the internet and these things happen...((@jamato8 has covered headphones quite well so far - as well as totl comparisons).
I guess everyone contributes different pieces to the puzzle, and some do not contribute.

when the portable gear was of random quality, different sound signatures and not much of it - and before many stores stocked the gear and before headphone shows started up the community was generally helpful and friendly. It had to be.

...as the gear has got better and more uniform in quality the general audio community seems to have gone the other way it seems.

oh well...

I look forward to hearing others impressions as they contribute to our growing pool of impressions of the DX220 Max.

I did some wifi testing last week, now i am spending time using the Max with my home system. Line out today.

I am adding to my write up bit by bit instead of one big splash at once. It seems more fun that way to me at the moment.

DA8AD299-0A33-4782-A4C9-ABDC967E3F13.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,997 of 3,626
I can not believe that someone would raise a concern or object to someone using the Max to power IEMs! It is great with them. What I have been using lately are headphones, since it does such a fantastic job with them, but I also use IEMs. One thing that used to be understood, with speakers and amps, was that to have way more power than needed for a speaker, kept the amp in the best range for the lowest distortion and it also gave you excellent headroom. The same thing is going on with the Max and IEMs. It is quiet enough to work great with them and at the same time, you stay in the super low distortion range of the output. This is something that used to be well understood.

I used to use almost 300 watts with my Klipsch speakers. Why when they could be run with 5 watts? Because I was using the best possible output for super low distortion and at the same time, I had superb headroom and dynamics. And the same is going on with the Max. So enjoy it with whatever headphones or IEMs you want and have fun!

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #2,001 of 3,626
Seriously somebody should shut this thread. It’s hostile

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #2,004 of 3,626
Well i suppose the question of IEMs is a legimate question for many people.

how is the Max with IEMs?
It is a larger device - is it designed/meant for Head phones only?

The Max main board is built around or near identical to DX220 as @Whitigir has found by opening it (the Max)...and then also modding it.
- The amp part is based largely on Amp 8 architecture - with different tuning.

Amp 8 - probably the most recommended stock amp module (DX200/220) has 4.4mm at 6.2Vrms Output voltage.

*Amps 1,2,5,7 have around 3.0-3.5Vrms

Amps 3,4,8 have 6.0 - 6.2Vrms

The Max has:
SE 4.4Vrms
4.4mm HP out 8.8Vrms

So SE headphone out on the Max is even less powerful.(than amp modules 3,4,8).

And the SE is very capable.

myself - i have have largely been using IEMs around the same price range Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020, Solaris OG/2020, Ara, Gold...
- others such as Dita Dream XLS, CA MW10 and Final Audio A8000 which are closer or the same $ as the Max.
(SE and Balanced).
- plus a few low to mid range for general testing purposes.

Headphones mainly CA Cascade and iBasso SR1 (4.4mm) and also SE, SE mainly ATH-ESW11 and ATH-A900.

The Max is very capable and plays well with IEMs of a similar level. Both in 4.4mm or 3.5mm. I think the 3.5mm sounds great myself and one does not need to default to 4.4mm.

Three gain settings, DAC volume being able to be changed and also the analog volume wheel make this dap very versatile.

I usually default to the old Head-fi Golden rule of ‘don’t comment on gear unless you own it, possess it or have listened to it (for a decent period of time)”.
- interpreted to mean generalized discussion and questions is ok, But assertions, disinformation and assumptions about unlistened to products - no.

Luckily we are fortunate to have people in this thread who have either heard the Max or in possession of of it...or both. And are taking time out of their busy lives to offer impressions.

thanks all.

:)

“You are right’”

16F65C80-5BC0-44E1-AAAA-FBDC67E59131.jpeg
- unrelated picture to remind us that it is only audio and there are more important things in life as we slowly tread towards our own personal oblivion and eventual end due to natural entropy

In other news the second? batch has arrived in Japan and the Twitterati are busy <3

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2,005 of 3,626
I use my MAX with my mod HD800, IER-Z1R, and other headphones such as the MDR-SA5000, and Senn HD-58X. I'm somewhat agree that the MAX should *also* be evaluated with harder to drive headphones like the HD800. Otherwise, how can one justify the extra girt and weight for a transportable device? Mine has about 300 hours on it now and still think that the treble is a little grainy at time but it is better than at 200 hours. I hope it will continue to sound better. As is, I feel that my mod Sony NW-WM1Z maybe a better choice for me at driving my IER-Z1R and HD800. In a stock form, the WM1A/1Z definitely has no shot at competing with the MAX at driving the HD800. Again, everyone's requirement from the MAX is different...but for me the MAX must work wonderfully with the HD800. I gave up on the HEK V2 and most plannar largely on how difficult it is to drive and my HD800s do sound excellent out my mod Walkman.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #2,006 of 3,626
I use my MAX with my mod HD800, IER-Z1R, and other headphones such as the MDR-SA5000, and Senn HD-58X. I'm somewhat agree that the MAX should *also* be evaluated with harder to drive headphones like the HD800. Otherwise, how can one justify the extra girt and weight for a transportable device? Mine has about 300 hours on it now and still think that the treble is a little grainy at time but it is better than at 200 hours. I hope it will continue to sound better. As is, I feel that my mod Sony NW-WM1Z maybe a better choice for me at driving my IER-Z1R and HD800. In a stock form, the WM1A/1Z definitely has no shot at competing with the MAX at driving the HD800. Again, everyone's requirement from the MAX is different...but for me the MAX must work wonderfully with the HD800. I gave up on the HEK V2 and most plannar largely on how difficult it is to drive and my HD800s do sound excellent out my mod Walkman.
More time. I am not getting any of that (graininess in the highs).

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #2,007 of 3,626
Jul 4, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #2,008 of 3,626
No problems folks.

i always enjoy when someone contributes a cheery friendly comment on a forum.

i have about 8 (?) headphones here and have tested a good half of them (Including the iBasso SR1) - but have not written much up about them yet. I save those headphone listening times when i am home alone without family to attend to / or my wife is home - which is rare. Hence more time on IEMs whilst kids watch tv and i watch them.(or commuting in the summer humidity).

It is a great device for decent IEMs btw. (As @twister6 noted). As well as headphones or for feeding a home system etc

But i do understand it is the internet and these things happen...((@jamato8 has covered headphones quite well so far - as well as totl comparisons).
I guess everyone contributes different pieces to the puzzle, and some do not contribute.

when the portable gear was of random quality, different sound signatures and not much of it - and before many stores stocked the gear and before headphone shows started up the community was generally helpful and friendly. It had to be.

...as the gear has got better and more uniform in quality the general audio community seems to have gone the other way it seems.

oh well...

I look forward to hearing others impressions as they contribute to our growing pool of impressions of the DX220 Max.

I did some wifi testing last week, now i am spending time using the Max with my home system. Line out today.

I am adding to my write up bit by bit instead of one big splash at once. It seems more fun that way to me at the moment.

ahhh im from the aeon of isfet... no wonder we are having technical diffficulties
After how many hours of burn in?
keep her going for another 10000 hrs and you will be 1/2 way there.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #2,009 of 3,626
Yo, which closed back headphones have you guys used with MAX? Impressions going from SE and BAL. I'm currently looking at Denon D9200, Sennheiser 820, and Sony Z1R. Focal Elegia is too expensive right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back