I was asked to move my thread here: Looking for recommendation
Jul 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ramrod266

New Head-Fier
I've been cruising this forum for the last couple of days and I feel enlightened enough to ask some questions now. I have roughly $2,000-$2,500 dollars to spend on a portable headphone amp and a pair of IEM's. I currently use the AT MTX50's as my over the ears with no amp. They work fine for my purposes as I'm not going to use open backed cans at my office. I think I've settled on buying some custom IEM's as my SE535's were recently stolen. I think I've settled on the UE 18's or UE 11's. I've never used custom IEM's before and buying $1,000+ equipment without testing them kind of scares me. How do they sound compared to over the ear headphones and/or the Shure 535's. I've read some stellar reviews about UE products, so I'm no worried about the quality. Just wanted to know what to expect.

I've also tentatively settled on buying an RSA portable headphone amp, either the tomahawk or the sr71a. I wanted some opinions on using either of the amps for IEM's and my MTX50's(39 ohm imp.). I've read some other posts (and ray's site) that say the Tomahawk is specifically for IEM's. Is the SR71a more for pro-cans(I've read everyone uses the 600's with it) and not pro-IEM's? I'd be happy do answer questions if you ask them. But, I'm a burgeoning audiophile who is kind of new to the game and could use some help. I have a pair of Martin Logan Summit ESL's, and I love how those speakers produce an almost visible sound-stage when you close your eyes. Can I expect the same thing with IEM's? 

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 2
IEMs can't throw that kind of staging. Headphones won't throw what speakers do. For better recommendations, they can be found in the portable headphones and portable amps forums There are several C/IEM shootouts in there. I would advise you put most of your budget into the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back