I think I'm missing the point.....
Dec 19, 2001 at 3:26 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Well, anyone who listens to the radio or watches TV to find new good music, well is a moron.

KR I rarely agree with you on anything but this time I'm going to have to jump on this train of thought and call it the "KR express to musical wisdom"

And I find your new logo, symbol, zombie thing sublimely disgusting .

Dec 19, 2001 at 3:40 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Well, anyone who listens to the radio or watches TV to find new good music, well is a moron.

I have only heard bad things about the state of radio in the US - although don't you guys have some half-decent and innovative college radio stations??

We are blessed in Australia, especially in Melbourne where we have two absolutely fantastic public broadcasters - 3RRR and 3PBS FM. Both are funded entirely by subscription which is about AUS$60 for a full and AUS$35 for concession. This translates to zero 'cheesy' advertisements and minimal 'relevant' advertisements. The programming grid ranges from blues, folk, punk, jazz, electronic, metal through to film reviews, science-talk, cooking and food etc etc etc. I have been introduced to so much wonderful new music, stuff that would NEVER get aired on commercial radio. Along with independant music stores, and more recently the internet, public radio is where I get exposed to new and interesting sounds.

You know it is a good station when people who move away from Melbourne write the station letters saying how desperately they miss listening. Luckily, RRR now broadcasts on the web - have a look at their homepage:

http://rrr.org.au/

Dec 19, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
And I find your new logo, symbol, zombie thing sublimely disgusting .

Actually, it's one of them old kids from Akira (innit, KR...?). Compliment notwithstanding, and I'm sure he'll take it as it was meant. :)

Dec 19, 2001 at 4:31 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
We are blessed in Australia, especially in Melbourne where we have two absolutely fantastic public broadcasters - 3RRR and 3PBS FM. Both are funded entirely by subscription which is about AUS$60 for a full and AUS$35 for concession. This translates to zero 'cheesy' advertisements and minimal 'relevant' advertisements. The programming grid ranges from blues, folk, punk, jazz, electronic, metal through to film reviews, science-talk, cooking and food etc etc etc. I have been introduced to so much wonderful new music, stuff that would NEVER get aired on commercial radio. Along with independant music stores, and more recently the internet, public radio is where I get exposed to new and interesting sounds.

heh, you guys actually pay for radio programming? How does it work exactly? We have a ton of radio stations here, all free of charge, but are loaded with ads and terrible music...some stations play some good tunes, but also mix in tunes that dont fit in with the genre they might be covering. I prefer to burn cds and my own compilations for the road anyway. MTV blows (rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, o wait...hip hop..wow!), VH1 isn't bad....sometimes.

George

Dec 19, 2001 at 4:45 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

heh, you guys actually pay for radio programming? How does it work exactly?

I copied this from the RRR website:

Although much about Triple R has changed since its formative years as an educational radio station, its core philosophy and direction as an independent public radio station has remained the same.
Created in 1976 as a not-for-profit organisation it survives on a successful blend of listener support and business sponsorship. Over 100 volunteer announcers present some 70 programs each week, while around 15 full-time and part-time staff, with assistance from volunteers, keep the station running. The Board of Directors of Triple R includes members from RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) and the University of Melbourne.

Triple R broadcasts throughout the metropolitan area and quite extensively into outer regions. 73% of our audience is aged between 18 and 34. The audience is highly educated with over 70% having either completed tertiary education or in the process of doing so.

Triple R occupies an important niche in Melbourne's cultural tapestry. Programming style is alternative to the mainstream with 'real' people presenting the music, issues and spoken word of their own choice.

Triple R is proof that an independent community radio station can hold its own in this highly competitive field. Well respected in the music and arts industries, Triple R has a large and loyal following throughout Melbourne and beyond.

Triple R has found its niche. It has flourished because it provides a service that a significant group of consumers wants. The station is in touch with its audience who is opinionated and quick to criticise. Subscribers are encouraged to give feedback via surveys and letters. Triple R is well aware of its select audience and serves its market well, rather than chasing a larger audience by compromising values and alienating present listeners. Listeners discover Triple R by "word of mouth"; recommendations from listeners rather than big billboards and megabuck giveaways.

Today Triple R's alternative presentation of viewpoints and culture is relevant and vital. Prejudice, economic rationalism, equal opportunity, censorship, social welfare and the state of the environment are just some of the major issues facing the community, and community radio. However, technological advances in the communications industry cloud the station's future, making financial support from businesses and listeners more vital than ever.

Triple R aims to continue presenting the best available programming, challenging its audience, and encouraging their support, feedback and involvement.

So basically, RRR didn't just happen overnight. It has really had to slog it out over the years, but thanks to the loyalty of subscribers, they have become a very significant force in Melbourne radio. I can remember several years ago when a series of 'benefit gigs' were organised around Melbourne to help raise funds for a more powerful transmitter - heaps of local indie bands played for free, as this is their main conduit for serious airplay. And that is not to say that RRR only plays indie grassroots stuff. You will hear things like U2 etc, but only if the programmer/announcer wants to play it. NO PLAYLISTS AT RRR! It truly is a wonderful institution.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back